Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to re-link missing vector smart objects

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I was using Photoshop CC normally, copying vectors from Illustrator then pasting it on Photoshop with "Vector Smart Object" correctly linked.

Then for some reason I signed out of Creative Cloud (can't remember why) and when i paste artworks from Illustrator to Photoshop i unchecked "Add to Library"

Ever since i've been using Photoshop files with layers that aren't linked to their illustrator artwork (attached)

My question is, can i relink the missing "Vector Smart Objects" to their original vectors cause i lost many of them.

Many of the files i use from illustrator aren't necessarily located as .AI files on my drive, i just create them on illustrator and paste them on photoshop and use them from there.

Please let me know,

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 10.48.28 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anything available when using  »View Deleted Items« from the Library Panel’s fly-out menu?

Anyway your description seems unclear; you paste ai-content, have unchecked »Add to library«, but the new SO shows a missing link right away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anything available when using  »View Deleted Items« from the Library Panel’s fly-out menu?

No. Both folders are empty on Cloud.

Anyway your description seems unclear; you paste ai-content, have unchecked »Add to library«, but the new SO shows a missing link right away?

No. What i meant is that in the past ive worked on a PSD file, probably added illustrator files to it while "Add to Library" was unchecked. Now that i'm opening it again, all the Vector Smart Objects are marked with Red that photoshop can't find them anywhere. So i was wondering if there's any way i could get them back..

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. What i meant is that in the past ive worked on a PSD file, probably added illustrator files to it while "Add to Library" was unchecked. Now that i'm opening it again, all the Vector Smart Objects are marked with Red that photoshop can't find them anywhere. So i was wondering if there's any way i could get them back..

That seems to make no sense, Illustrator-content should be pasted as an embedded Smart Object if »Add to library« is unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what i thought, but everytime i open a PSD file on photoshop i'm getting this (attached)

That the Vector Smart Objects are missing and that i should link them again. It's the first time this happens with me so i'm wondering why. I don't have each of them as separate illustrator documents so i can't manually pick them cause they don't exist.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 1.21.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not happen because »Add to my currecnt Library« was un-checked; rather the other way round, you did apparently use a Library.

What was your Library at the time? What is your current Library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea how to answer that question. i am not familiar with Libraries on Photoshop, ever since i've been using Photoshop for more than 10 years i copy paste an artwork from Illustrator to Photoshop and it automatically links to Illustrator as a Vector Smart Object and it's saved.

Now it's not and plenty of my layers on Photoshop for numerous files i have no access to.

attached reference

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 2.34.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i copy paste an artwork from Illustrator to Photoshop and it automatically links to Illustrator as a Vector Smart

Pasted Illustrator content used to be embedded, not linked.

Linked Smart Object have been introduced in Photoshop CC (released 2014).

It seems that at some point you started using the Libraries without noticing it.

Are other Libraries available in the Panel (click on the pop-up menu that shows »My Library« now).

Have you changed your account in the meantime?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I got Drag & Drop.

This is really so strange, more than 50 PSD files have become like this which is very unflexible and unusable for editing. Can this be corrected? and if not, what's to learn from this so that it no longer happens?

I haven't changed my account it's always been the same.. I did however just rebooted Creative Cloud (attached 2) Originally it wasn't there it's been a while so chances are i might have been not signed in?

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 8.52.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 8.55.48 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to start a new thread, maybe someone else can make more sense of your descriptions, because I am not sure I follow what you are talking about; you talked about copy/pasting, now you talk about drag/dropping, the screenshots seem to clearly indicate that Library files are missing yet you claim to have pasted without »add to library«, …

more than 50 PSD files have become like this which is very unflexible and unusable for editing.

If you pasted with »add to library« or dragged from the Library then the files are not embedded in the Photoshop files and that is as expected and intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the missing images actually harken from a time when you »added to library«?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as you do. I usually just created the graphic in Illustrator and copy and paste into Photoshop as smart objects. Recently, I changed my laptop. All of my smart objects cannot be located in Photoshop and I don't have a copy of all these vector files as well. Hope someone can provide a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you paste uncheck »Add to my current library«?

If so check out the library on the old computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panlau - This is how it worked out with me.

Turns out, for some reason my Adobe Creative Cloud has signed out from my computer, and during that period, all the vectors i copy pasted onto Photoshop from Illustrator didn't register in the PSD file since CC couldn't save them on its "cloud".

Obviously I couldn't retrieve anything, but maybe sharing this will help you out. Check out your sign-in status on CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Alexis,

Did you ever get tio the bottom of this issue to recsolve it. YOur queries make perfect sense to me! I'm having exactly the same issue- opening PSD files where the copied and pasted AI CAD has a red question mark on it and is no longer editable back in Illustrator. It's soooo frustrating!!

Could you let me know if you found a way to resolve it and make the AI layer editable again ( or add it back to the linked library)?

Thanks so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, I was passed a file from another artist and they had objects links in their library that did not save with the PSD so now when i open the file its got a bunch of missing library objects.  

I have his original AI file... but id want to just auotmatically re-link all the vector links.  is there a way to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue...right-clicked on the layer and selected "Convert to Smart Objects". The red missing link icon in the layer is gone and all seems to be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines