Exit

Text layer errors while copying / nudging

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

If I try to copy one of my text layers I get the error:

Could not make a new layer from the selection because the pixels in a type layer cannot be modified without first rasterizing the layer.

If I try to move it using the arrow keys I get:

Could not nudge the selection because the pixels in a type layer cannot be modified without first rasterizing the layer.

This is a recurring but inconsistent issue - when I close the file and reopen it I can copy and move the layer just fine.

Any idea why I this happens?

Thanks for your time

(Using Photoshop 19.1.3)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can't reproduce that here . Duplicating the layer Ctrl+J  and nudging both work OK.

If you are getting strange behaviour - the usual fixes would be (in this order):

1. Reset the tool (with the text tool selected go to the options bar and do the following:

2. If resetting the tool does not work, reset Preferences. Go to Edit<Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences on Mac)

In the general tab choose reset Preferences on Quit then click OK. Then close and restart Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you give your steps?

How are you trying to copy the Type layer? There are several methods that work (and some that don't).

How are you trying to Move the Type layer? You should have the Type layer selected and your Move tool selected. They you can drag your mouse or use the arrow keys. You mentioned the arrow keys, but not the other two parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines