Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nutcracker Jaw offset on head rotation

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have duplicated the bottom half of my characters head to apply a nutcracker jaw behaviour as shown in Dave's example with Almasol (here), but when the head rotates (or scales) the jaw layer becomes offset (see image). I have tried changing the 'Attach To' to 'Front Profile', I have tried deleting and redrawing the sticks in different positions, etc. I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong. Any idea how to fix it?

Thank you!

jaw.jpg

chSticks.jpg

chTree.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Random idea - have you tried the various Head strength and parallax properties under “face”?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, but as expected it didn't really help much. I even tried to tag the bottom half as a 'Face' layer. Right now i'm getting away with it by not tilting or moving my head as much so it's not very noticable, but would like to find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another random idea - have you tried changing the origin (move the green circle right up to the top). You mentioned tilting the head was causing problems - maybe because they are rotating/scaling with different centroids? Try making both having the same origin position and see if that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that too. Thankfully its not too noticeable as i have limited the head rotation anyway. I'm bound to fix it accidentally eventually lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am happy to try one evening after work if you are willing to share the puppet. I like debugging puppets as I learn in the process! (But I have no idea what the answer is.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, the first thing I would do is not have the head background and the bottom half grouped. Just keep them as children of the main head just like your eyes, eyelids and eyebrows. As long as the bottom half is in front of the background of the head you'll be fine. Then in character animator select jaw so you can see its properties as shown in the right hand side of the second image you posted, and where it says "attach to" (auto) change that to head or what ever your head group is called should be an option and select that then you should not have that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines