• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to increase UI font size in After Effects?

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I have a lil problem. I have high rez monitor and using AE CS6 but I couldn't find about change UI font size menu.

Is that possible? My OS windows 7.

Best,

Kuma

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jan 26, 2014 Jan 26, 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. This stuff is fixed and AE CS6 doesn't support any high-DPI displays. You have to live with it.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit off topic but is there a similar features requested page for Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this link is no longer live - do you have an update link by any chance?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or better, how about your team freaking address this long-standing, long-requested oversight? Or do we have to wait another 6 years like we did for multi-frame rendering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right?  this entire suit of apps is barely functional.  constant problems in premiere that haven't been fixed in over 7 years.  i cannot wait to switch to apple and do away with all this garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said! Just like many of their other apps, they add new features that should have been implemented from the very beginning, but for some reason a very basic option to adjust the UI scaling is completely missing. I shouldn't have to adjust the scaling of my monitor just for a couple of their apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all!

>See the "resizable user interface text" entry here:

Thanks Todd for answer my question. Also I saw the article of link.

I'm waiting  for resize UI to become to able to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

This feature has been added to the new 13.1 release, as I can read on this page, correct?

I am working on a 21'' 1920x1080 monitor on windows 7, and the text has become much, much too big to my liking - it is taking so much space it is detrimental to my working environment.

I've looked for options to change that but cannot find any in the preferences.   Can I do something to solve this? 

At the moment the text is so big I cannot even see the timeline, as per my usual layout settings - see attached screenshot.

Many thanks

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no feature for controlling the font size in After Effects.

The page that you link to just says that many of the UI controls scale automatically to the right size for high-DPI displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

Thank you for your answer.

But that is exactly my problem, the size is not right size for this high DPI display.  On a bigger monitor such as size would work, but not on my relatively small 21'' monitor.

Is there any way for me to backtrack to a smaller size?

Many thanks

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah i got it, just had to scale the DPI font size in Windows.

Thanks!

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@i am having same trouble...just adjusted font size of text and problem  got fixed.

cheers man..!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is the best adjustment in terms of UI text size in a UHD 32 inch dell monitor? What I understant is:

a. very small text size (cant work)

b.very big windows fonts and medium AE UI text size

c. change monitor resolution (2560x1600) text mayby blurry.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update your CPU display drivers, it works for me now for 4k monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over 4 years later and we still can't resize the UI font in After Effects.

Even though it was apparently "near top priority" in 2013:

resizable user interface text: As people use After Effects on larger and larger monitors, on which the size of each pixel is smaller and smaller, the single size for the user interface text becomes a problem. We’re looking into a variety of user interface “skin” improvements for the near future, and this one is near the top of the priority list.

Just a couple of points larger would be nice, especially when working on a laptop. (and no I don't want to scale my whole Windows interface with the dpi scaling because it just makes AE blurry).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im pretty new in AE and Adobe products but seeing this article and lack of improvements over the last 4 year does not bringing me close to move over to this platform.

Im on retina & 30" monitor, no way that I can work on it!

Im really sorry for people that have vision problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a new Windows system, and After Effects just got smaller compared to how it looked on my Mac. Even though I have my windows display scaled up to 120%, which makes all my other apps very easy on the eyes, After Effects persists in being tiny. I just wasted about 20 minutes searching for a solution and all I can find is Todd K.'s post from six years ago saying this was "near the top" of their priorities for new features.

What happened to have this drop off the radar? Even Cinema 4D, which is a UI dinosaur in a lot of other ways, allows you to change the display font size.

Grrrrrrr.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually find C4D's UI one of the most flexible as well as pretty nice to look at. Certainly way better and more customisable than anything Adobe makes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That this remains an issue is a shame on Apple, Adobe, Microsoft - everyone involved in UX design.  It is not solely an Adobe issue.  It is an industry issue.

What Adobe in particular and vendors in general need to recognize are THREE issues

1. High DPI systems are intended for USER CONVENIENCE.  In most cases, to show high DPI videos and images, in some cases to cram more apps on the screen.  What we have is high DPI imagery and more app space, but what is sacrificed is readability.

2. Font shrinkage as a % of screen size, relates to readability, and poor readability is poor User eXperience.  The response to run our displays with lower DPI / lower resolution is ridiculous.  Why buy a high DPI system then?  And running any system outside native mode degrades the GPU performance.

3. In AE I need high dpi for images, but not for menus.   Menu fonts are too small.   Why does AE make this a problem?  A basic app like TERMINAL lets you set font size.  Is Adobe too small to go big?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well stated. I had to buy glasses to use After Effects on my higher resolution monitor. This is bad for the health of their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. So, I have a Surface Book 2. I used to use After Effects CS6 on my other computer which I believe was like an HP Note or something like that. After Effects opened fine on that HP laptop, but when I opened it up on Surface Book 2, the layout/workspace was extremely small. I looked around for an answer to my problem but couldn't find it anywhere. I came across this article and I thought that all hope was lost. But, after a while of racking my brain to try and figure it out! I got it!

So, since my text was super small. This is what I did.

I went to the application that was on my desktop

AE Application.PNG

I right clicked it and went to "Properties"

Then this pops up:

App Preferences.PNG

So then I went to the compatability tab and I checkmarked "disable fullscreen optimizations".

App Compatability Settings.PNG

But even when I had that clicked, nothing changed.

So, then I saw the option of "Change high DPI settings" and this pops up:

App Resolution.PNG

It had different settings before, but this is what I changed it to. If you copy your settings with what I did to mine, I'm pretty certain that it will help! 😄

Mine went from looking like this:

2020-01-13 (46).png

To looking like this:

2020-01-13 (47).png

So yeah! I hope this helps anyone who stumbles across it~ 🙂

Also, I had tried doing the display settings with my computer and change the resolution and all that, but that only ended up making my entire computer look out of shape because it made everything look humongous and it didn't help After Effects look that much bigger. But yeah! I'm glad that I found the solution to this! ^.^ :DDDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Veronica, the only post that actually helped 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines