• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC - lasso and eraser tools stop working

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why the lasso and eraser tools randomly stop working in Photoshop CC? They always stop working at the same time. Since I started subscribing to Creative Suite CC a few years ago, I have had this issue frequently (it can happen once every few minutes I'm actively working on a file), and it has popped up on my home account and on two separate work accounts. It's incredibly frustrating and brings my projects to a standstill. They sometimes will start working again seemingly just as randomly, or I can sometimes get it to work again if I click on a different program and come back to photoshop, or if I run the latest update, but more often than not there is not update available and no amount of clicking, switching programs, restarting, or anything else will help. Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emily,

Making a quick stab here but is there any chance you happen to be on a layer where the lasso or eraser tool cannot do anything? (E.g., an adjustment layer). Can't tell you the number of times that has bit me.

One clue for this is that rather than see the normal cursor, you get a "null" symbol (the circle with a line through it).

Please let us know if this is the problem. Otherwise, can you provide more detail as to what you see when you are trying to use these tools. And, while this may not have anything that can help with this issue, providing your OS and verifying which version of PS you are using might be of assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gary_sc,

Thanks so much for your reply. That is a good guess but it's not the case - I am always on regular layers, and other similar tools continue to work (like the magic wand or the box selection tool). I have also made sure to deselect everything just in case I unknowingly selected something and can't use the tool because I'm outside the selection.

When the tools stop working, I still see the icons as my cursor the way I would if they were working, except nothing happens when I try to use them (for the lasso, the 'marching ants' selection line does not show up, or nothing erases when I use the eraser). I am using Photoshop CC on a 2017 iMac running macOS Sierra. Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emily,

I've also had some "stupid photoshop tricks" events, not this but there's times when a brush just doesn't seem to want to work.

Have you tried quitting and restarting PS? Restarting your computer? Have you tried resetting your PS's preferences? I'd suggest trying those in that order (from least to most time intensive) and seeing if any of these have any effect.

Please let us now if this does it for you or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the issue with the eraser tool. I've restarted it and used all updates. The eraser tool still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. Just got it to work. Check the opacity on your eraser brush. Mine ended up at 2 percent. I updated it to 100 percent, and it now works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

I'm so sorry for the delayed response - I missed your post somehow! Thank you so much for your replies. I have tried restarting photoshop as well as my computer - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Which preferences would you recommend I try changing? I'll try anything at this point! 

I did some googling and it seems like Wacom tablet drivers can sometimes cause bugs in Creative Suite CC - have you heard anything about that? I need to use a Wacom in my work, so I'm hoping there is a workaround.

On a related note, do Adobe administrators ever weight in on these forums? It's impossible to find a helpdesk contact number for them; they just direct you to these forums. It seems like it's a deeper issue with CC that they could help address (I have had issues with InDesign as well since switching to CC) but I have no idea how to get a hold of a real person over there. It's infuriating that they had a product that worked practically flawlessly for decades and now they've forced conversion to CC which is just totally overrun with glitches like this and we are all just left trying to fend for ourselves to find a solution. End rant! Anyway, if anyone from Adobe is out there (or anyone knows how to contact them), I could use your help!

Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry but I left for holiday and am away from my computer. Yes, occasionally Adobe people wander through here but not on a regular basis. I wish I could help sooner but I can’t. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I have same issue. I have updated Photoshop CC and  also use Wacom. It does randomly and  then none of the tool appears to work. However in history it shows that tool has been used.

It nuances to start Photoshop every-time

, while you are working the file.

Any help from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the opacity of the brush on your eraser. Mine was at 2 percent. I changed it to 100 percent, and it now works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi matthewp89040522,

Unfortunately, the opacity isn't the issue for me. It's on 100% opacity, and it's more than just the eraser tool - it's the lasso, eraser, and the clone brush all at the same time. It's driving me crazy! I'm glad you found a solution for your problem, though - thanks so much for jumping in to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines