• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert to Profile: Adobe RGB to Adobe RGB- shift?

Engaged ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received an RGB TIF that appeared a bit oversaturated in the reds. I was curious as to the embedded color profile, and selected "Edit: Convert to Profile". The preview displayed an extreme color shift. But the Source and Destination color spaces were both Adobe RGB. I'm trying to understand why conversion to the same colorspace would result in a major color shift. I can't attach the image here, as it is proprietary (not mine). But the same happens with any image. Adobe RGB to Adobe RGB Convert to Profile will result in a major color shift. Try it with an image of basic color swatches. I'm sure the color wonks here will chortle at my ignorance, but I would not expect this result in this case.

I was told long ago that the preferred method of conversion was "Convert to Profile". Perhaps that is not the preferred method. I typically have prefs set to automatically convert, but a recent project required that I maintain the source profiles. I have always wondered what the actual voodoo is with RGB color  management, and I sometimes wonder if anyone really knows. Also, when a client has their Photoshop Prefs set to convert to working colorspace, this can result in major color shifts, when they open a file I have supplied. And many commercial clients never touch their color settings. I'm just a retoucher, not a physicist or engineer, but the current color management system still seems rife with potential perils.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

It's just the preview; the file is unaffected. Toggle the preview box and it should clear itself. It's a curious glitch that has been with us for a while. I've seen it myself. But as bugs go, this is one I can live with.

I would never recommend "convert to working RGB". It's a time-bomb. Any gamut clipping happening in that conversion is irreversible and you can't get it back! The only option guaranteed to never damage your files is "preserve embedded profiles". This is the default, and for good

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just the preview; the file is unaffected. Toggle the preview box and it should clear itself. It's a curious glitch that has been with us for a while. I've seen it myself. But as bugs go, this is one I can live with.

I would never recommend "convert to working RGB". It's a time-bomb. Any gamut clipping happening in that conversion is irreversible and you can't get it back! The only option guaranteed to never damage your files is "preserve embedded profiles". This is the default, and for good reason.

To keep track of your profiles easily, set the notification area at the bottom left of the image window. This way you always see at a glance what the profile is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right! It is just in the preview. I was reluctant to accept the conversion. But that is a bug that should be rectified. Very confusing.

BTW - Are you Adobe Staff? I was a beta tester for Photoshop 1.0, and a few subsequent versions. I was also invited to Adobe for Alpha testing for the UI. Had to leave the program due to time constraints. What is the best current channel to suggest feature requests, bugs etc? (I used to have a direct line to the product mngrs)

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a user like you. For feature requests and bug reports, the place to go is   https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

The thing about Photoshop's color settings is that you shouldn't do anything there unless you know what you're doing and why you're doing it. The default settings are safe and can't really go entirely wrong - but the things you can do there can potentially cause a lot of damage. Tread carefully, it's a minefield.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines