Exit

150GB Photoshop file and SSD scratch disk option

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

First post here so be gentle.

I know this question has been asked a lot but I'm looking for some guidance based on my situation.

I'm working with a PSB file that's 150GB (uncompressed and roughly 208,000 X 208,000 px). This files contains 169 aerial image tiles that are 16,000 X 16,000 px.

I'm in the process of editing the sea so I have a layer with a mask that I'm manually painting in.

This file is located on a server with 10 Gbps Ethernet connection so this not a bottleneck.

Currently the scratch disk is about 800GB.

I'm looking at ways to reducing the loading times of this file.

My PC spec is below, but in a nutshell SSD has OS and Program files and HDD is used solely for scratch disk

I'm looking at getting a 2TB SSD (Samsung 860 Pro) but before I do will this reduce the loading times??

PC Spec:

​Photoshop CS6

Win 10 Pro 64bit

RAM 32GB

GTX 1070 (6GB GRAM)

Intel i7-2600 3.4GHz

256GB SSD (sata 3) (with OS and Program Files) Micron C400-MTFDDAK256MAM

HDD 2TB (1.6TB free) (sata 3) WD RE4 WD2003FYYS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache

Any help would be much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a huge file and open/save will take a long time, perhaps minutes, even from a local disk. I think you should just get used to that.

That said, an SSD as scratch disk would speed things up. But you will probably need at least 1TB just as scratch space for this single file.

Personally, the mere idea of working over a network makes me shudder, no matter the nominal speed. Actual speeds are usually nowhere near. At least work locally, then save to server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines