• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to force save when using 'Real-Time Preview' ?

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just "upgraded" from CS5 Dreamweaver to CC and when I preview the files aren't reflecting (saving) the changes i've made.
Why would Adobe remove something so useful? How can I turn on the autosave upon preview?

thanks

Walter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

I don't have a Mac, but these instructions should still work for you...

To re-map the old Preview in Browser (Open in Browser) to F12 rather than Live Preview...

1. Close DW and go to...

Windows: C: > Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > Menus > MM

Mac: Applications > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > Menus > MM

(I think, I don't have a Mac to test)

2. Open the file "PIB_Dynamic.js"

2a. As always, make a backup in case something goes sideways. Add _o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Live Preview is a totally different function from the old Preview in Browser. It's supposed to show your edits in the browser as you make them in DW. It rarely works correctly for me, so I use the old Preview in Browser (what CS5 had) now called Open in Browser instead.

You can get to it one of a couple ways. The first is to right click the file in the Files window and choose Open in Browser from the pop up list. The other way only works if your files are set as tabs in your application frame, if they are, you can right click the file's named tab and choose Open in Browser from there.

If you like, there is a way to put F12 to Open in Browser instead of Live Preview if the function isn't working correctly for you. It requires making a small modification to one of the program files though, so you would need full admin rights if you want to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks, does 'open in browser' force save my changes? it doesn't seem so. It does the same thing as 'Real-Time Preview' as fare as I can tell. That was the cool part of it, that it would ask you if you wanted to save as it went out to preview in the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you select Open in Browser, it will pop up the save alert, unless the page is already saved, just like PiB did in previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jon,

It doesn't do that for me. Both 'Real Time Preview' and 'Open in Browser' just preview without asking me to save changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to ask "is it plugged in" style questions, but are you sure there were changes to the page before you attempt to preview (an * at the end of the file name in the document's tab)?

Are you sure you're using Open in Browser?
(Live Preview will give an Adobe IP address in the browser, OiB will give a file: or localhost address)

I've always gotten the same screen Nancy shows.

If I say "no" to that pop up, it will open the previously saved version, minus any changes I've made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I followed your instructions.Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 11.54.34 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-13 at 11.55.01 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually hit Ctrl+S to save first.  

If I make changes, Right-Click > Open in Browser, I am prompted to save the file.   See screenshot.

Real-Time Preview is a nuisance for me.  It doesn't play nice with my local testing server.  So I don't use it.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adding to what Jon said, you can also , and depending on your sensibilty on task automator, add a simple task to watch on all your connected browsers, and tablets, the update when you only save any files (css, scss, json, html... whatever... it will reflect instantly the change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why but there is no 'History Panel' in my Dreamweaver to use to create that task automator you mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The History Panel was removed several versions back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has gotten rid of the History Panel....so can't do those automated tasks. What have they done taking out all these useful options?!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was talking about real task automator, like grunt or gulp ... don't hesitate if you need further explanation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Birnou but they've gotten rid of the History panel so you have no record of your tasks available to you now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it has nothing to do with the history panel... it's a mecanism that runs under Node.js

I have to go right now, but if you let me a message and if you want to get the script for it.. just let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this might have been my problem. The pop-up Nancy mentioned is now showing up when I unchecked the options "Preview using temporary file"

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 11.59.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was first having problems when I was doubleclicking the .html files in my finder and nothing happened....normally they would open up and play in chrome....I ended up doing an uninstall and re-installation of Chrome. I probably checked that box when I was looking for a solution. New Mac ... and New Dreamweaver CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now that I"ve unchecked the "Preview Using Temporary File" the "real-time preview" doesn't run my javascript.....BUT......the "Open in Browser" works and asks me to save any unsaved changes. Thanks for all your help guys and gals. Overall I don't see the point i having the "Real-Time Preview" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Live Preview is supposed to show your edits live in the browser window.

Basically, you should be able to put that browser window off to the side and work on your page with the new edits appearing right away, without saving or reloading.

It never worked right for me, so I modified one of my files in DW to use Open in Browser on F12 instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm going to do if I can get my shortcuts sqared away on my mac. The Option + f12 opens up some volume controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it is not so smooth.. when it works... it work and is helpfull for just adjusting file... the big problem I have using such a live update on browser, is the URL which is specific to DW,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jon,

How did you get your Mac to do the 'open in browser' with F12 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a Mac, but these instructions should still work for you...

To re-map the old Preview in Browser (Open in Browser) to F12 rather than Live Preview...

1. Close DW and go to...

Windows: C: > Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > Menus > MM

Mac: Applications > Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2017 > configuration > Menus > MM

(I think, I don't have a Mac to test)

2. Open the file "PIB_Dynamic.js"

2a. As always, make a backup in case something goes sideways. Add _old at the end of the back-up's file name.

3. Search for the text "dw.browseDocument". There are 3 spots with that code, but the first two are just comments. The right one should be on or about line 433, and change the text "isPIB" to "true"

The finished line of code will look like...

dw.browseDocument(dw.getDocumentPath('document'),theBrowser, "-1"/*help argument*/, false /*use temp doc*/, true);

4. Save the file to your desktop

5. Drag the file into the original location from Step 1. You will be prompted for your Admin credentials in order to make the copy/replacement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon,  I did follow your instructions but I think I need to turn off my mac shortcuts before this will work. Still popping up volume controls. Right clicking the Tab and then using the 'open in browser' does still work and save. My problem now is that the local .html files don't do anything when I double click on them....normally they would open up a chrome window and play. Apple not Playing well with Adobe or vice versa. So for now the only way for me to preview my files are to use the 'open in browser' or drag it into a chrome window. What a pain. So my shortcut problem is my secondary problem now. Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines