• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White Balance modification - ACR vs LR Classic

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIL: in ACR you can draw a rectangle with the dropper to select an area when modifying the white balance.

To do this, you open the image in ACR and on the top bar, take the first eyedropper tool - you can then "paint" a rectangle on the image to modify the white balance using the range of colours within the rectangle.

This doesn't work in Lightroom - you can only change it as a single point.

Am I missing something in LR? And if so, how can I do this in LR?

If not, why are these two behaviours different? I thought ACR and LR Develop were basically the same engine!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure about that? I'm using the latest camera raw on my Windows 10 computer, and I can't seem to replicate the action you are describing. I can create the rectangle, but it's the and as I try to modify the white balance the rectangle disappears and the white balance adjustment affects the entire image. Perhaps I'm missing a step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mark the rectangle to create a wider selection of colour values to change the WB on the whole image. That's what the white balance modification does. In ACR, the rectangle is available, in LR Classic it is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, if you insist. But it doesn't work that way for me. I'll wait to see what others have to say about this. I have no suggestions on how to fix it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont believe you are missing anything. While I have never thought to drag an area with the white balance tool - dont use ACR much - I can confirm that I also cannot do it in Lightroom.

@JimHess Dragging the box does affect the final overall WB based on the content in the box. It is not a selection that persists.

mac OS Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I guess I'm not following the logic. Apologize for my ignorance or stupidity or lack of understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

The rectangle isn't a selection that will keep the white balance change within that selection, if that's what you think. It's a way to increase the size of the sample you use to set the white balance. But you still set the WB for the whole image, obviously.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is my expectation also. When I select the WB picker tool and select a particular area it utilises 5 x 5 pixels to adjust the white balance of the select to make that 5 x5 pixel area as neutral however it adjusts the entire image. I can not see any way to adjust the size of the select. See the screen capture.

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 6.59.44 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can adjust the box pixel dimensions by using the SCALE Slider on the toolbar or using the mouse roller.

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 5.17.16 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Bob that is confirmed, just different ways of "skinning the cat" as the saying goes. Learn things every day.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This behavior was improved awhile back.  Originally you could change the pixel size of the box to SEE more of the area you were picking but the white balance and display number was still chosen from a 5X5 grid in the center.  After a big discussion on the forum with some Adobe people they agreed it would be better to use all the pixels in the larger grid.  Good job Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that in the current release? If so, it's a good start!

Thanks
P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The change was made a year or two ago to the new eyedropper behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I change the 'Pixel' sample with the mouse scroll wheel-

or the scale slider on the Tool bar

ScreenShot083.jpgScreenShot081.jpg ScreenShot084.jpg

Edit: Bob, beat me to it

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to all for the information. I guess it's just a difference between ACR and LR CC. I'd really like to see the ACR implementation reach LR Classic though. It can be really helpful to use a larger source for setting WB. The larger box in LR is fine but you're still choosing a very small area to select the WB.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines