• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drawing tablet moving Photoshop canvas instead of drawing/Stylus working like hand tool

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has just recently started a week or two ago and I don't know why it's happening

I'm using a Huion Kanvas gt-191 and a Monoprice 10594 tablet. (Photoshop CC)

When I use the Stylus in Photoshop the canvas/screen moves around instead of drawing like it's acting like the Hand Tool but the hand doesn't appear,

I tried other programs and the Stylus works just fine in those programs (Illustrator, Krita, and InDesign)

I've tried shutting down my computer and trying again but that only fixes it until I zoom in/out just a tiny bit.
Also, I tried resetting all preferences on Photoshop (did nothing),
Also, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my drawing tablet software (did nothing)

and also I tried turning off windows ink, that fixes it but I lose pressure sensitivity (which is crucial for me)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Hello, here is the Adobe Help solution to this issue, a patch from Microsoft fixing the issue Cannot paint with stylus when zoomed in on image | Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it maybe related to this?

Brush moves the Canvas - Surface Pen

I haven't experienced it yet myself; I use Windows 10 x64 and a 2nd-gen Intuos (not the Pro model).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helped me! It's resolved now Had the exact same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many  using Window 10, Photoshop, with Pen Devices having Problems after windows update KB4089848. I do not It may be becaise of how all thing are configured.   Windows setting, Wacom Drivers & setting, and Photoshop preferences. Photoshop doeg not support Stylus drawing a Digital Pen is required.

https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?q=KB4089848&place=%2Fplaces%2F1413024&sort=updatedDesc

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested by JJMack, try this solution: Brush moves the Canvas - Surface Pen
It worked for me after hours of looking for a solution. I found a workaround, holding down the lower button on my pencil. But now it's resolved for good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a wacom tablet and i had to turn off "use windows ink" option in my wacom settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off "use windows ink" worked for me. It can be found as a check box at the bottom of "wacom tablet properties">grip pen>mapping

edit: Lost my tilt and pressure sensitivity though grrrr

edit2: Was able to regain tilt and pressure sensitivity using the WinTab work around mentioned in other threads:

1. Go to C: > Users > Username > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 > Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings
(I assume this works for other versions of PS CC as well; just go to appropriate folder )

2. Create text file called PSUserConfig.txt
2. add the following line to the text file:

Use System Stylus 0

3. Save. Restart Photoshop if you had it running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Windows.

How do I use WinTab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, you are my savior.  I just spent 2 hours first getting my pen to stop grabbing the screen instead of drawing and then after fixing that I lost sensitivity but only in Photoshop and aaaaarrrrrghhhhh I hate Windows updates.  Thank you thank you thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, your solution worked well but found as soon as I did "Ctrl-Spacebar drag" with the pen to zoom in, that messes up again. A restart of PS helped, but I have to refrain from using key commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Windows 10 please read this thread. Its been posted in many threads here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windowsink/comments/8508fi/controlling_pen_behavior_in_windows_10/

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! that is the solution to my problem 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have problems with your pen (my pen drags my workingfield to all directions when i use the brush or pencil) go to setup wacom tablet and go to calibrate (your pensil) and deselect Windows-inkt (left under) it could be that after the next update it wil be selected again, so deselect again if you have some troubles again. good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have problems with your pen (my pen drags my workingfield to all directions when i use the brush or pencil) go to setup wacom tablet and go to calibrate (your pensil) and deselect Windows-inkt (left under) it could be that after the next update it wil be selected again, so deselect again if you have some troubles again. good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@  ca48923524 Disabling windows ink does not provide the full solution. Just doing that will disable pressure sensitivity.

You can either - undo the update

or

Do the following (recommended) :

1. Use notepad to create a text file and type in :

UseSystemStylus 0

2. Save the file as PSUserConfig.txt in the following location
C: > Users > Username > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 > Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings

3. Go to the  tablet properties and uncheck "Use Windows Ink"

4. Restart Photoshop

That is it - all should now work well (you need to do all the above steps to retain pen pressure)

Note : There is a third option. Microsoft made this change intentionally and they have issued a way round it with registry change (see link below). However for  Photoshop the PSUserConfig method works.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windowsink/comments/8508fi/controlling_pen_behavior_in_windows_10 /

Note 2 : If you have another version of Photoshop installed e.g. CC2017 then you will need to add the file to the CC2017 folders

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much dave , i am not a member here but  PSUserConfig.txt has  made me smile again  and  my Huion 221 is now drawing  and  all works  as it should

regards from germany,

friedrich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only I have an Artisul D16 tablet.  So, I can follow your first two steps.  But in my tablet driver config area, there is no choice to disable windows ink.  What next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how I fixed it This is with the update still applied.

1. From Start, search for cmd

2.Right-click Command Prompt in the search results, and choose Run as administrator

3.At the command prompt, type or copy/paste:
          reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t           REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

4.Press Enter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed it by disabling automatic Window updates and then deleting the latest security update as well as the latest flash update. I then rebooted my machine and everything was back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just about to comment this. It worked for me.

Found it in the known issues of reading in on the updates. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4093112/windows-10-update-kb4093112

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if MS now acknowledge it was also a Windows Ink issue caused by KB4089848 and whether it will be fixed in the next patch. The Windows Ink functionality seems to be a mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually looks like it was intentional by the Microsoft windows ink team, so I would not look for an update soon from them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windowsink/comments/8508fi/controlling_pen_behavior_in_windows_10 /

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  It looks half baked to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines