• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Expression To One Property

Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have wiggle expression on rotation property of the layer with keyframes. I also want to add master Dan Ebberts' pendulum expression on the same property. Is this possible? I tried if else statement with checkbox (if checkbox =true do wiggle thing else do pendulum) but gave me error message "cannot assign value because it is read only". By the way this layer is Duik's controller and parented to zero object. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the effect you're going for? If you just cut to a wiggle, you may get a jump (discontinuity).

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi master,

What an honor to be replied by you. Firstly, i'm doing character animation and using duik for this. In this spesific moment my character is trying to stop and after sliding a bit, it stops and i want pendulum expression to give follow through to it by applying to same controller's rotation property. So, suddenly stopping works for me here actually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it sounds a little tricky. I think to make it convincing, it would have to be more of an overshoot/inertia kind of thing, so the expression would need to be able to calculate the velocity coming into the oscillation to know what amplitude to use. Hard to guess how to do that without seeing the expression you're trying to modify...

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been searching a way also and this kinda worked for me:

Adsız.jpg

But you are right making smooth transition is not easy. Wiggle ends on the third keyframe and from third to fourth there is rotation movement and as a continuation of it -after fourth- pendulum expression goes into game. I changed it from sin to cos as this spesific movement requires in this way. I would be happy to see other solutions. Thanks for your interest and being pioneer for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With my (paid) tool Expression Timeline you can transition from any expression to any other one, also fade between them. So you can get a smooth transition between a wiggle and a pendulum but still have to experiment with the timing and amplitude such that the pendulum looks like being caused by the wiggle. Maybe experiment with the trial version (that is 14 days fully functional if I remember correctly).

Expression Timeline 2 - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

Cheers,

Mathias

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines