• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text distorted when using shape layer and set matte

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is likely an easy one for someone out there, but I  have spent a lot of time searching a solution to no avail

What I am trying to do is have text originally hidden behind a shape layer, be revealed when you move the position of the text.

1. I created a shape layer above the text layers and positioned the shape layer (rectangle) where I want the text hidden.
  2. Hide the shape layer
  3. I then apply a "set matte" effect to each of the text layers
  4. In the text layer set matte effects I set "Take matte for Layer" to the Shape layer above and source.  "Use for matte" set to alpha.

This works however what happens is the text gets distorted or parts of the text are missing when I reveal it by changing it's position.  I  have done this effect before in another project but for the life of me cannot figure out how I resolved this issue (was a while back).   Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this should work. you should show us a screenshot of your all your layers and press UU so we can see all the modified properties. since this is an animation problem, a screen recording would be helpful too.

BTW the matte layer can be anywhere you want just as long as it is in the same composition. (doesn't have to be above...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took out all other animation and am showing just one text scenario.  I am creating the text in illustrator and importing the .ai file into AE so maybe that has something to do with it as when I create the text in after effects and follow the same process it works fine.

Here is a screen shot showing the Shape layer (blue) covering the text

Here is what it looks like when I hide the shape layer

Snag_4cf1c4e.png

Now when I set matte effect on the "No Investment" layer and set it to take matte from the shape layer 1 layer you can see the text already going askew  and it is not hidden as you would expect:

Now when I set matte effect on the "No Investment" layer and set it to take matte from the shape layer 1 layer you can see the text already going askew and it is not hidden as you would expect as per below:

Snag_4d50984.png

And when I reveal the text it has the same issue

Snag_4d7908d.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the shape layer cover the Text entirely?  make sure to make the shape layer bigger than the text so it will be revealed without any missing part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest graphic card driver update ?

which version of After effects are you using ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes they did need updating and that should have been done before reaching out.   My bad

However it did not resolve the problem.

I am now using AE 15.1.0 and have the latest NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB driver insrtalled

When I pull in the composition imported from AI into my main composition and apply the layer and set mask at that level it works but covers over stuff I dont want covered.  When I double click on the AI import in the main composition and try to apply the mask there to be more selective of what gets masked, thats where it goes haywire.  Hopefully that makes sense.  I could split the AI file into a graphics file and text file as a work around I guess. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines