Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 7.2 to Photoshop 19.1.3 inconsistent colors

Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

As you know the MORONS at Adobe screwed up 7.3 and i can't upgrade yet as i have a lot of presets that will get messed up.

I accidentally upgraded photoshop to 19.1.3

Now photoshop looks different to the color im seeing in Lightroom 7.2

Is this normal behaviour because i upgraded camera raw and photoshop but not lightroom?

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

ok so im using Lightroom 7.2

I upgraded camera raw from 9.12.1 to 10.3

I upgraded Photoshop from 19.1.2 to 19.1.3

I downgraded Photoshop from 19.1.3 back to 19.1.2 no change.

I downgraded camera raw from 10.3 back to 9.12.1

Guess what.  Problem solved.  Camera RAW 10.3 has problems with Lightroom 7.2.

Moral of the story.  If you aren't upgrading Lightroom to 7.3 don't upgrade Camera RAW.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Lightroom and Photoshop don't display identically, it's usually cased by a defective monitor profile.

Try setting the monitor profile to sRGB (Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor).

See http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-...

If this fixes the problem, you should ideally calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibrator, which will also create a new monitor profile that accurately describes your monitor.

There could also be a color mismatch if you have changed the color settings in Photoshop. (like setting the RGB working space to Monitor RGB, which disables color management) Unless you know what you're doing, leave these settings alone.

Also make sure that Proof colors is unchecked in the View menu in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Per and thank you for trying to help me

No settings have changed apart from upgrading Photoshop to 19.1.3

I recalibrated with the i1 display pro and no change to the color mismatch.

I am using an Imac 5k late 2017.

I have Lightroom and Photoshop set to use ProPhoto RGB colorspace

not using proof colors.

its almost like the picture is more contrasty and more saturated than lightroom when editing in photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can see the colour difference here, different shade of red.  leaves on the right above the guy are more green saturated.  skin tone is different.

on the left lightroom on the right photoshop

adobe.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see the difference, there is a slight yellow cast in Photoshop.

I don't use a Mac, but I believe that the new iMacs are wide gamut. Unlike other wide gamut displays, their color gamut does not correspond to Adobe RGB, but to a color space called image-P3. So try setting the monitor profile to image-P3, and if that fixes the issue, there is something wrong with your current monitor profile.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Simon%20G%20E%20Garrett wrote

Upgrade to LR 7.3 (you say you're using 7.2, which has a different in-built ACR version).

That shouldn't make any difference - the image should display identically regardless of the ACR version.

PS - I don't know if the developers at Adobe are morons, but I've had no problem with presets.

I had no problems with presets either, but had to roll back to 7.2 because 7.3 was so slow that it was unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, i based my "morons" assumption off of the fact over the past 3 years they have cost me COUNTLESS hours after pathetic updates that are bugged and/or worse than the predecessor.

Ok all my settings are set exactly like yours Simon.

Second, i tried many other profiles even sRGB, Apple RGB you name it. All profiles differ in PS.  I reinstalled PS no change.

Only thing left is lightroom perhaps? ugh.

You guys didnt have preset problems because you probably dont own a vast amount and without special characters.  There is actually a large issue with presets.  And of course the DOG SLOWNESS that i've complained about for years that they can never fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second, i tried many other profiles even sRGB, Apple RGB you name it. All profiles differ in PS.

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding - you did try changing the monitor profile and not the document profile?

Also, Photoshop (and Lightroom) will need to be re-launched after changing the monitor profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes sir the monitor icc profile.

i also relaunched them each time.  still the yellow hue in photoshop.

ill try contact adobe via chat tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to get someone else to look at this. Hang on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the others that it's most probably a profile problem.  Other things I'd check:

1. Upgrade to LR 7.3 (you say you're using 7.2, which has a different in-built ACR version).

2. Check LR Preferences -> Edit settings are set to:

CaptureLR.JPG

You can't alter LR's internal working space (it's always ProPhoto RGB with linear gamma) but you can alter the colour space and bit-depth passed to PS - best is ProPhoto 16-bit.

3. Check PS Edit -> Color settings are set to:

CapturePS.JPG

Not only make sure Working Space is ProPhoto RGB but make sure policies are "Preserve..." and (I suggest) check all the "Ask When..." boxes, so you get warned of problems.

PS - I don't know if the developers at Adobe are morons, but I've had no problem with presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that this has all the signs of a problem in the conversion to monitor profile. Either a defective profile, or possibly a buggy GPU driver. At default Photoshop settings, the actual conversion is performed by OpenGL code in the GPU. One way to test is to set the GPU to "Basic" mode - this shifts display color management back to the CPU, which is more robust and reliable.

There is a known problem with ProPhoto files in Photoshop, with standard GPU color management. It can show up in various ways depending on the type of monitor profile, but shadow clipping and/or banding, in individual channels, is common. The problem here appears to be shadow channel clipping in Photoshop - although it's hard to say because this file is hard clipped in the shadows either way.

Try an Adobe RGB or sRGB file, and also set GPU to "Basic". That should eliminate this particular problem (which is apparently caused by inaccuracies in OpenGL code, exaggerated by the compressed shadows in ProPhoto. It's outside Adobe's control).

Just to be clear - color settings in Lr and Photoshop don't need to match. That's not a requirement. And it certainly doesn't have to be ProPhoto just because Lr's internal color space uses ProPhoto primaries. Any color managed application is supposed to display the file correctly whatever the profile is - that's the whole point.

Finally, as Per suggests, the way to test the monitor profile is to replace it with a known good one. The stock system profile should be good enough. But the profile embedded in the original screenshot is just "Display", not "Display P3". So either this isn't a wide gamut iMac model, or it's the wrong profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On re-reading the thread, I see "late 2017 5K iMac". That's certainly a wide gamut model with a DCI-P3 panel.

So if you're using the system default display profile, it should be called "Display P3". But the one in the screenshot is just "Display" (Mac OS embeds the display profile in screenshots).

Anyway - one more thing I forgot to mention: if using the i1 Display Pro, make sure it's set to produce version 2, matrix-based profiles. Not version 4 and/or table-based (LUT). The latter policies are also known to be problematic in some situations (or so I'm told - never seen any problems myself).

If the display profile is an accurate description of the display's actual, current response, and the application converts correctly from the document profile - then the file has to display correctly. Yes, I know that sounds very generic and general, but it can help to focus on each of the three individual links in the color management chain: document profile > conversion > display profile. But usually it's the last one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when setting photoshop GPU to basic the exact same color difference happens.

one thing i noticed in my color settings in Display there are actually 2 iMac profiles for some reason but both are identical..

with i1 i always use version 2

I notice if i use the i1 display the screen runs way too warm so i always just stick with the standard apple profile and only adjust my screen brightness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just created a new standard one and ill try it..

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 1.01.36 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok so im using Lightroom 7.2

I upgraded camera raw from 9.12.1 to 10.3

I upgraded Photoshop from 19.1.2 to 19.1.3

I downgraded Photoshop from 19.1.3 back to 19.1.2 no change.

I downgraded camera raw from 10.3 back to 9.12.1

Guess what.  Problem solved.  Camera RAW 10.3 has problems with Lightroom 7.2.

Moral of the story.  If you aren't upgrading Lightroom to 7.3 don't upgrade Camera RAW.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so the only possible explanation is presets/camera profiles. It wasn't the monitor profile after all.

With the Lightroom 7.3 update, corresponding to ACR 10.3, I got a notification that presets had been "successfully converted to xmp". I confess I don't know what that means exactly, but I certainly didn't have any problems after the update. We also got an entirely new Camera Profiles interface, with some new profiles. But still nothing that would cause any issues.

So this is where I'm a bit lost in your problems. Why would it "mess up" your presets? In fact it seems to me that they were messed up by not updating Lightroom!

We all know how important it is to keep Lightroom and ACR in sync. I never update one without the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presets a total mess in Lightroom 7.3

check out this thread to understand it only affects people with a large preset collection with symbols.

If i updated camera raw, lightroom and ps together i would never have had the problem but i would get a problem with presets going in the wrong order / messing up

and yes after spending the best part of 6 hours messing around, i learned my lesson to never update camera raw without updating PS and LR lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also running LR 7.2 and PS 19.1.3, and it turns out that I am seeing the same thing - a slight yellow cast in Photoshop.

This is on Windows 7, with an Eizo CX 240.

The image has not been edited in Lightroom, and the only develop preset that has been used is a sharpening preset on import, and the camera profile is Adobe Standard.

If you fixed the problem by downgrading ACR, there must be a bug in ACR 10.3.0.933.

LR-PS-difference.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep and how do we notify the team about this bug?

yes i fixed the problem by downgrading ACR to 9.12.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In any case, it must be this specific combination. I can't see anything similar here, with all updated to current and synchronized versions  (Lr 7.3 / ACR 10.3 / PS 19.1.3). Win 7 and Eizo CG246.

I'll look closer when I have time (but I'm not downgrading just to test)..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is getting stranger ...

It turns out that when I open a raw file directly in Photoshop, it displays the same as in Lightroom, but not when using Edit in from Lightroom.

I'm going to post a bug report over at Camera Raw and DNG | Photoshop Family Customer Community

PS-direct-edit-in.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@d fosse It is only the specific combination i have listed.

@Per Berntsen yes same here, its only when editing a photo with lightroom adjustments.

I reported it to Adobe via the chat and they have had a few reports similar to mine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled LR 7.3, and Edit in Photoshop works perfectly.

So I think we can safely assume that this was caused by a bug in 7.2, and/or that the combination of LR 7.2 and ACR 10.3 triggered the bug. So I'm not going to file a bug report on this, bugs in 7.2 will obviously not be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that was the point I was trying to make a few posts up: stay synchronized, and you won't see this.

I'm not even sure it qualifies as a bug - obviously Lightroom 7.2 wasn't made with an upcoming ACR 10.3 in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a perfect world staying synchronised would be wonderful!

Unfortunately due to bugs in 7.3 and terrible performance (which Adobe knew about in the beta testing), i can't upgrade.  No idea why the devs even released this apart from pressure to have it ready before a certain date, so they knowingly released it with bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines