• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2018 causes GPU overclock and high CPU load

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found, after I observed my fan being unusually loud when using Photoshop for a while, that when Photoshop  is selected it causes my GPU to to go 3500 Mhz up from 400 Mhz and my CPU to heat up by 20° going into heavy load - immediately.

This was not the case with older versions of Photoshop, selecting Photoshop and working in it would not change temperatures or GPU clocking, basically running at idle.

When I turn off "Use Graphics Processor" this problem dissappears.

I use Intel i7-7700HQ and Nvidia GTX 1050

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem with i5 and geforce mx150.
I really wish that someone could help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the CPU usage go up simply by opening Photoshop?  Or when performing specific functions?  For the most part, Photoshop is lightly threaded and uses only one core for most function.

Whilst Photoshop can load your CPU and GPU, by itself, it can't cause the clock rate to increase.  That is a function of your BIOS settings, or and turbo modes or similar you have set.  If you use Windows 10, then open Task Manager > Performance and then open Resource Monitor. 

I have just tried my system.  This is what I see with Photoshop already open, but if you scroll past these screen shots...

....if I close and reopen Photoshop, then my CPU does initially ramp up, but soon drops back.  You need to look at the Utilisation figure, and watch temperatures with your app of choice.  If it is getting hot when running less than 100%, then perhaps you need to look at your cooling.  You might just need to clean the fan, and radiator grill if you have one.  Note I have my CPU set to overclock automatically in the BIOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey thanks a lot Trevor... and for your effort to make the screenshots
The fan noise starts when I open a document, with a few layers. When there is that screen with recent documents, there is no fan noise.

I made a screenshot like you did:

screenshot 1.jpg

and here are the other screenshots I made withTechPowerUp GPU-Z:

screenshot 2.gif

screenshot 3.gif

screenshot 4.gif

screenshot 5.gif

Oh and my computer is brand new...

Any suggestions of what could I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines