• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 Demo - the right product for me?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2009 Feb 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been charged with the task of creating an e-manual of company procedures, processes, etc., which has led me to download a trial version or RH8. In tinkering with the program it looks promising, but a few issues perhaps someone can help me with:

1. It seems that I will be able to create a .chm file for distribution to staff, which will contain all of the information in a formatted and linked manner - is it as simple as that? Will users require any special app for viewing?

2. When opening a .chm file created using the demo files included in the trial version of RH8, the help dialog opens up but displays the error "this program cannot display the web page". Is this because I'm working with a trial version, or should this work (maybe I have more learning to do to figure out the RH program)?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 06, 2009 Feb 06, 2009
Thanks all.

I dragged the file onto my desktop and now it works.
I guess the folder I was using was on our network after all (mental note to check with our network tech).

So, I continue to tinker . . . .

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You will just need to distribute the CHM. No app is required but you may need to register some DLLs. I'll leave a CHM user to comment on that.

The reason you are getting that message is because you are viewing the CHM from a network drive. Move it to your hard disk and it will be OK. See CHMs Not Displaying Properly on my site.

Your RH project should be on your local drive too.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I welcome more comment on the CHM issue/item.

RH was loaded onto my laptop, and all the project and chm files are on the laptop's local C: drive.
Am I missing something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

There should be no need for anything else UNLESS you use two specific features of RoboHelp.

* Browse Sequences
* The Glossary Tab

If you are creating a Policies manual, it would seem unlikely that you would need either of these features.

I'd like to see first hand what is happening to you with this. If you are up for it, shoot me a private eMail message to rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com and include your phone number. I'll fire back a link we might use to connect and I'll call you.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks all.

I dragged the file onto my desktop and now it works.
I guess the folder I was using was on our network after all (mental note to check with our network tech).

So, I continue to tinker . . . .

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this - right click on the .chm file listing in Windows Explorer. Select Properties from the right-click menu. On the General tab, at the bottom, there is an UnBlock button. Click on that.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp