• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR6 will not recognize a folder

Participant ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been processing a number of photographs from South Padre Island on four successive days, April 3-6. I have created a folder named South Padre and have been placing all TIFF files in a folder  and all JPEGs from those TIFFs into a similar JPEG folder. I had just finished the June 5 images and started the first of the June 6 images when the power went out in the house for 15 minutes. When it came back on I continued but noted that the first images seemed to go into a new folder rather than the one with all of the previous South Padre images. I failed to pay attention to where but completed processing perhaps 40-50 images which, on checking the Windows folder, were all present. When I was done I attempted to import all of the four days of South Padre images but LR failed to import or recognize the June 6 images both in my TIFF and in my JPEG folder even though they are present in the Windows folders. I have no idea how to make LR import the June 6 images which it apparently cannot see.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me like the power outage didn't have an effect on Lightroom at all.

It sounds to me like you ACCIDENTALLY imported the photos using the COPY option instead of the ADD option, and so Lightroom thinks the photos are now in FOLDER XYZ, while you think the photos are in FOLDER ABC. If that's the case, then by default LR will not import the photos again.

If you click on "All Photographs", can you locate the photos in there (search by file name)???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused about your dates. You talk of April 3-6, and then you are looking for June 6. Why the change in months? I suppose it doesn't matter, but it seems strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My error; all dates are June, not April.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I hit import and select South Padre the images from June 3,4,and 5 appear greyed out indicated they have already been imported. The images form June 6 are not present. When I click on all photos nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom will not let you import these photos again.

You need to search your LR catalog for these photos.

The full set of steps to do the search (you need to do ALL 4 of these, not one or two or the couple that you want to perform, you need to do ALL 4):

1. Click on All Photographs
  2. Expand all Stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
  3. Turn off any filters (ctrl-L once or twice)
  4. Use the filter bar to search the for one or more of these photos by File Name

If you can't find them this way, please show us a screen capture of the ENTIRE LR LIBRARY MODULE screen where the photos are not found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I follow the four steps you outlined in your email I see the dng and TIFF files of the June 6 images. When I highlight them and hit "import" it asks for the folder. When I put in South Padre 4-18 I get April 3 through 5 but not 6. What screen shot do you want me to submit?

BTW, Again, my error, these are all April images, obviously not June

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you find the dng and TIFF files of the April 6 images. Now you have to make sure they are in the proper folder (if that's really what you want to do).

IMPORTANT: there is NO IMPORTING involved. DO NOT IMPORT. Do not import.

Steps to fix this:

1. Right-click on one of these DNG or TIFF files that you found. Select Go to Folder in Library. The folder that contains these photos will be highlighted in the Folder Panel on the left (you may have to scroll up or down to see the highlighted folder)
  2. Right-click on this folder, select "Update Folder Location", then select the desired folder that you want them to be in. Click OK or whatever the affirmative is.
  3. DO NOT IMPORT.
  4. DO NOT IMPORT.
  5. DO NOT IMPORT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This process simply leads me to the original DNG folder. When I process a DNG image to a tiff a snapshot of the image with the word "edit" appears in that folder as it has done every time I process images. There are no JPEG images there, only the DNG and the TIFF. I am still unable to find a folder with just TIFFs and a folder with JPEGS. THey went somewhere but I am unable to find them.

mixed-photos-dng-web.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/joseph+motto  wrote

This process simply leads me to the original DNG folder.

Isn't that the folder you want???

I am still unable to find a folder with just TIFFs and a folder with JPEGS. THey went somewhere but I am unable to find them.

I am requesting that you make things CRYSTAL CLEAR when you refer to folders. Are you talking about folders in Lightroom or folders in your operating system?? Please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am referring to the explorer folder which is highlighted when I try

to work back from lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen shot I included shows the LR listing with the original raw

files (dng) and also the TIFF file that I processed from the dng. As I

mentioned I make a TIFF and a JPEG of most selected images although

sometimes I just create a JPEG. When I first made the error at the

start of processing the April 6 images I thought I was sending them to

the same folders (south padre 4-18 for jpegs and a similar separate

one for TIFFS). They did arrive there according to explorer but this

batch is not recognized by LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a screenshot of LR. I only see a screenshot of Mac Finder.

If you found (at least one) of the DNGs in a different folder in LR, look in that folder using Mac Finder, are the TIFF and JPG in there??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finished a long winded description of my conundrum on the forum

site but it apparently fouled up and wouldn't send. Briefly, (1) I

have a PC, not a MAC, and don't know what Mac Finder is, (2) I have

not tried to import since you said don't import, and (3) I have not

found more than one DNG site in LR, that being the April 6 RAW/DNG

folder that holds my shot images after a converted them to DNG and

culled out the bad shots. I have not found a second folder. I should

have stopped afte the power outage when I processed that firrst April

6 image and saw that the folder it was headed for did not have all of

the April 3,4, and 5 TIFFS or JPEGs but rather a blank screen. I

though they were going where the others had gone but obviously LR

didn't think they were going there even though my Explorer folder

listing has them right where they should be. I simply don't know how

to get LR to tell me where it thinks they are or what I need to do to

correct it. Probably not worth the hassle; to compulsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies for thinking you have a MAC. I read lots of threads, sometimes I mix them up a little.

In Windows Explorer, use the search feature to search all of your hard disks (including the C: drive) for one of the TIFF files, by file name. This may take 10-15 minutes. Report what it finds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the screenshot from LR6. You can see the greyed out images from the folder where I put my raw images, then converted them to dng, and also the processed TIFFS mixed in with the dngs. No jpegs. In most instances they go into my TIFF folder under My Digital Photos, Dev Pics while the JPEGs go into a folder headed by the year and subfolder location, i.e., south padre 4-18. I just can't seem to find a way to track them down and get LR to recognize them but I am at least happy that I can go to my explorer folders and the processed images are there. When I get out of my routine I have problems figuring out the pathways.

LR-screenshot.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still trying to Import? YOu are wasting your time and will not solve the problem that way.

I have asked you to find the OTHER folder where the DNGs were. You said you did this in Lightroom. Then, look in that other folder using Mac Finder. It doesn't sound like you tried this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using my IPad to indicate that I have spelled out my quandary on the forum site rather than a direct email.

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question.

The folders you seem to have created for this Padre Island shoot are in the folder for 2018 but yet you say they were taken in June?

Do you have a Time Machine? If you do can I borrow it?

Grayed out images mean those images are already in the Catalog file.

Write down the name of one of those images and do a search of all your drives and see how many time and in how many folders those images show up. Or in LR use the Filter Bar Text option and search for that name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those that were confused by the date I meant April for all, not June.

I have done searches of my hard drives for both an April 6 TIFF file and also for the same image  in a JPEG file as I made one of each at the time. Here is the screen shot from the TIFF:

TIFF-file-search-web.gif

Here is the JPEG search that looks the same:

jpeg-search-web.gif

Perhaps you can tell me what we have learned as I do not know how to interpret the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So these appear to be in the correct folder according to Windows Explorer. Is that correct?

But Lightroom will not allow you to import these TIF and JPG photos? Is that correct?

So, you have to do the search in Lightroom now (using the 4 step procedure I stated earlier) to find one of these photos in Lightroom. Then we should be able to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and yes.

Following the four steps here is what my LR search for one of the April 6 TIFF images shows:

LR-search-web.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, now what folder does Lightroom think this file is in? Right-click on the photo, select Go to Folder in Library, and then the folder will be highlighted in the Folder Panel (you might have to scroll up or down to find the highlighted folder)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It tells me that it is right where I said it is supposed to be in the

Devloped TIFF file folder for South Padre 4-18, the one that doesn't

seem to be recognized by LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing, when I clicked on the folder all of the missing images turned

up. If I am correct now I can import them and keyword them, then go to

the JPEG folder and do the same search and they should turn up also.

Is that right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines