Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog migration issue

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

Apologies if this has come up - couldn't find anything in the searches.

I've had to migrate my Lightroom Catalog to an external hard drive due to lack of space on internal hard drive. Some of my edits & smart previews have not come across though...   !! When I open Lightroom the photos are blank & will not export. Yes, I have the correct hard drives connected. Any suggestions how to fix this? 

Would be much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your description, this doesn't seem to be a Lightroom CC (the new cloud-based version) migration problem, but rather a simple process of moving your catalog from the internal hard drive to an external hard drive. Is my understanding correct? What version of Lightroom are you using, what exact version? When you moved the catalog, did you also move the Smart previews? Are your image folders still in the same location (on the same hard drives they were in) previously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha, simple process yes It's Lightroom Classic CC 7.0.1 - is this the correct place?

If it is, there's an update since I last wrote. It appears to be an issue in the update of the catalogs. I successfully moved the catalog across. Then there was some kind of update to click which created a brand new catalog. The original catalog I moved a month ago still has all of the original smart previews & edits (amazing). But everything I've worked on in the last month as that sits on the new catalog (not so amazing). Does this ring any bells?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little confused. There was a catalog upgrade when Lightroom Classic CC was first released. But I don't remember another catalog upgrade since then. That doesn't mean anything because my memory isn't what it used to be. If you moved the catalog to the external hard drive, you should have moved the Smart previews folder as well, I believe. You would probably be able to get better help with your dilemma if you posted in the Lightroom Classic CC forum. This forum is for Lightroom CC, the cloud-based Lightroom.

Lightroom Classic CC — The desktop-focused app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom wanted a new catalog to be created upon import from the new location on the hard drive.

But, I see - I'll relocate into Lightroom classic. Thank you v much for you help - much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you moved the catalog to the new location, You needed to double-click on the catalog in THAT new location. Otherwise, Lightroom was looking for the catalog in its old location. When it didn't find it there, that is when Lightroom prompted you for a new catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but you're incorrect. I DID click from the new location. & it did wish to create a new catalog using the old catalog but all of the information didn't come across. Not a blank catalog! (I'm not that idiotic). I was on the line to Adobe help at the time & they advised me to do things exactly as I did them. So the process was done 100% correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow! I never implied that anyone was idiotic. I was only trying to help. I apologize for intruding. I assure you that I will not impose on your turf again. Good luck, I hope things go well for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines