• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to build a program(.exe) with live-tracking rating-system?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

we are making a program via adobe captivate which hase some informationslides and quizslides.

When we are done with that, we want to publish that as a program(.exe) with the function, that they have an own account

where they can see how good they are in the quizslides.

To save and synchronize the results of each user in that program, we though that a LMS like Moodle would do that for us.

But until now i cant find any function which would update the results of the users from the program and save them at a server.

So my questions are:

a) Is it possible to build that kidn of program via adobe captivate?

b) is it possible from AC -> LMS for the rating system?

c) if b) is not possible, what we should do?

thank you a lot for any help

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate is an eLearning authoring tool and collaborates normally with a LMS (like Moodle). If you want to transfer data to the LMS you need to create a SCO, using SCORM 1.2 or 2004. A LMS has a 'gradebook' for each user and manages their accounts.

Forget about creating an EXE: first of all they are Flash-based and EOL of the Flash player is announced and already the case for all mobile devices and for some recent browser versions. You need to publish to HTML, either a responsive or a non-responsive project. If you turn on reporting, you'll publish automatically to a SCO which can be uploaded to the LMS.

It would be good to read a litlle bit about the exact purpose of a LMS like Moodle, and of an authoring tool like Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the input.

So its not possible to produce an responive .exe file by using captivate and a lms - is that what you mean?

Publishing in HTML means that the users interacting on my homepage and getting scored by the lms behind the scene?

Would you say that we need a  programmer to get our slides with the result-system into an .exe?

sry for the sum of questions, but it seems to be that you can help me a lot with just a couple of sentence.

Best regards,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to explain that you shouldn't use EXE, because it needs the Flash player, will never be responsive but have a fixed size. Forget about the EXE. It is all about HTML publishing now, where the course will be launched using a index.html file or something similar, just like websites.

With Captivate you can publish to HTML to have a course with a fixed size, or a rescalable course, or you can create a responsive course with either Fluid Boxes or Breakpoint views. Here is an example of a rescalable HTML course, which was not configured to have scores, but is just uploaded to my domain:

Captivate's Timeline

If I added scored objects like questions to this course, I would have to set up the Reporting, then publish which would result in a SCO and upload to a LMS instead of just a webserver. That is why you need a LMS. That LMS has to be set up, like defining all the user accounts (name + paswword), so that the user can be identified and the access can be restricted. No programming needed, unless you want to do something extraordinary. Same for Captivate, I rarely will add JS scripts, in most cases I develop the courses only with CP's functionalities.

Here is another example, where I embedded a published movie in an iFrame in this blog post:

Drag&Drop Actions - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again Lilybiri

So publish the project at an own page and manage the users via a lms seems to be a fine option and easy to translate from captivate.

But we are really motivated to publish our project via .exe.

I try to give you the reasons for that:

We wanted to build a learningsoftware for poker. About 2/3 of all slides are informations, 1/3 are about the quiz.

The Users should navigate between the slides just via the buttons which are in the slides and there are about 12500 of them.

He also should have an account where he can see his archievments, process of the results from the quiz and so on.

For reasons of security and sharing of accounts, we prefer the .exe form and it would be awesome if it would be possible for this project via captivate and a LMS.

What do yo mean lilybiri?

Best Regards,

Chirs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but I give up. Next year you wouldn't be able anymore to play an EXE file. Flash Player will be gone which you need for EXE. Moreover you wouldn't be able to track the results at all..  The number of slides you mention is VERY high, I never did see any Captivate file with such a huge amount of slides. Probably you would not need that much slides at all, that is just your lack of knowledge of Captivate's functionality. One slide can have a lot of content, when you use advanced actions and variables.

Maybe you need an app? That is also standalone, meant to be installed on a mobile device, created with PhoneGap. However such an app needs to be small to run in a fluent way. You can create an app from Captivate with PhoneGap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Doesnt know that the Flash Player is dying. So a App can also be used by a computer and is working via html?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources