• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(CS6) Exporting to PDF gives a much smaller image size than the original canvas

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I use CC at work, but at home I'm using CS6 because that's what I have.  I'm having an issue where my usual settings for PDF export are resulting in an unusually low-resolution image, and I can't figure out why.

This is my image size and resolution.

troubleshoot4.JPG

This is what it looks like at 100% zoom in Photoshop.

troubleshoot1.JPG

When I export to PDF, I select "High Quality Print", but change some of the settings, like so:

troubleshoot5.JPGtroubleshoot2.JPG

But no matter what I set the export settings to, the result always looks like this:

troubleshoot3.JPG

This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me, and I'm not quite sure what's going on.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the export settings, but what the exact issue might be, I don't know.  I also tried setting compression so that it downsamples to 300DPI for anything above 300DPI, JPEG Maximum quality, but that didn't work either.

This is for a 4"x6" postcard.  The image shows up slightly smaller than actual size on my monitor, but seeing as my monitor is 72DPI, it should appear much bigger than that, as it has for every other postcard I've designed before.  Because I'm working with actual images in these postcards, it's important that it be in its proper resolution.

Any advice would be helpful.  Thank you very much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

There's nothing wrong!

Photoshop doesn't show you print size - that's not what 100% means. It means one image pixel is represented by one screen pixel (1:1). Acrobat, on the other hand, shows you actual print size, at the ppi setting you specified in Photoshop.

Uncheck "resample image" and set the ppi value. This determines print size, you see the resulting size directly in the Image Size dialog. For print somewhere between 240 and 300 is usually appropriate.

Here's the very same file at 300 and 96

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Just a quick question--have you turned on rulers in Acrobat? And does your image come up the same size as your original in using the ruler -- not looking at your image on screen.

Second question, one of your screen shots shows uncompressed print -- and the other shows hight quality. Did you try working with the different settings? and did you get the same result? My go to setting is Press Quality (but that is just a personal preference when I go to print).

The reason I ask is that sometimes you can't always judge your image by looking at the screen--especially when you are going to print and have a specific size you are planning for.

And, your screen shots were great.

Let us know if you've tried these things already and how it worked/didn't work.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing wrong!

Photoshop doesn't show you print size - that's not what 100% means. It means one image pixel is represented by one screen pixel (1:1). Acrobat, on the other hand, shows you actual print size, at the ppi setting you specified in Photoshop.

Uncheck "resample image" and set the ppi value. This determines print size, you see the resulting size directly in the Image Size dialog. For print somewhere between 240 and 300 is usually appropriate.

Here's the very same file at 300 and 96 ppi:

test_pdf_1.png

What "print size" is in Acrobat, is based on the number Acrobat uses as screen density. I'm not sure if it just assumes 72, or reads from the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I don't know this whole thing as well as I thought, because it turns out this was correct.  I checked at work this morning and as it turns out what I thought was 100% on all my "correct" postcards was just an automatic zoom to fit the screen.  Actual 100% was about the same size as my other exports.  Don't I feel silly now.

Thanks for all the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Need Your Help friends-*

When I am saveing 72 DPI PSD file into PDF in photoshop. After save PDF size and hight widht auto increase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My reply #2 above still applies. Read it again.

Screen size in Photoshop has no relation whatsoever to physical print size. None at all. It only relates to screen pixels at the given zoom ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines