• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Search for Edited photos that have not yet been Exported to .jpg

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have modified a number of images in my Catalog in various folders, but have only exported a few to jpg.  Now, I would like to find them and then put them into the same folder the raw files are in as jpg's.

I think "Has Adjustments" will be part of this, but can't figure out what else or exactly how to do it.

iMac OSX

Any ideas?

Thx!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of any tag that specifies that an image has been exported as a JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no search criteria for Export, so you'll not be able to find it. You can always mix has adjustments with a date range to restrict it, but you'll still end up with previously exported files. The only way from there is to check History in Develop for an Export step.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I created a Smart Collection of photos with Develop = "Has Adjustments"

there are about 300 of them (in many different folders)

what is the next easiest way to Export each one as a jpg into the same folder as its raw file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I'm trying to tell you how to manage your photo collection, but do you really need a JPEG copy of every image? Personally, I just keep the raw images and the adjustments I have made to those images and just export JPEG images when they are needed to share with others or to post on the Internet. I don't see any need to keep a copy of a JPEG just to have a copy of a JPEG. If I make an adjustment to the raw image, then I have to make sure I create a new JPEG copy to replace the old one. Just a thought, but you can manage things as you see fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll agree with JimHess's point here, that there needs to be a beneficial purpose behind an Export. If no particular purpose exists, how are you ever going to make your export "fit for purpose"? (resolution, saving quality etc). And once that purpose is served, what is the continuing use of keeping the export? There may indeed BE such a purpose, no question - but it is not necessarily the aim of processing the image, to make a JPG export on disk. Many outputs of an image would not involve that, and will be better served by working from the LR master image directly, by preference.

All this said, if an identified body of LR-internal images do need to be replicated in an external JPG copy, and if this is a continuing requirement rather than a one-off, there may be advantages to using a Publish rather than an Export method. Publish can make and resume and refresh this body of external versions over time.

And unlike Export, Publish keeps track: images that you have not yet published versions of; images that you have; images that you previously have, but then further edited meanwhile, such that the external copy no longer corresponds to what is seen within LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ralf11  wrote

ok, I created a Smart Collection of photos with Develop = "Has Adjustments"

there are about 300 of them (in many different folders)

what is the next easiest way to Export each one as a jpg into the same folder as its raw file?

Just use the Export Dialog to export to the same folder as the original and don't put into a subfolder.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 8.10.02 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use a publish service it keeps track of what has and has not been published, so when you re-publish only the 'altered' images get sent.

This plug-in Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Folder Publisher” Lightroom Plugin maintains the original folder structure on publication, so depending on where you set the target of the publish service to be, it could be to publish the jpgs back into the same folders or for example, you could mimic the structure on a different drive (which is what I do, to have a lower grade copy as my ultimate backup in the cloud). Also, if you wanted, you could create smart filters under the publish service, or duplicate the service to publish to different locations.

Having said all of that, LR is a bit hit and miss on whether it considers an image round-tripped through Photoshop as 'altered'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need jpg's of all these so they will go thru some other software that "serves" them up on a large display.  I'm not really understanding the Folder Publisher plug in but will take a more thorough look at it later.

Right now, I am Exporting each one then setting a Color Flag to Red, and added a smart collection criterion .not. Red to remove those photos from the set.

It works but is laborious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In brief:

1. You download the plug-in and then add it using the Plug-in Manager in LR.

2. You create a 'root folder' somewhere and configure the plug-in, selecting which modifications (could be keywords, ratings, edits and so on) require a republish

3. Under the publish service you create a smart collection that selects what type of image you want to publish (this could be all images)

4. First time you choose publish, everything that meets the criteria in step 3 gets output

5. After that LR tracks the changes to the images in the smart collection

6. When you want to, you go to the service and select publish except that now only anything new according to criteria 3, or changed according to the criteria in 2 gets sent.

So for me

a. All my images sit under one folder structure (ROOTA)

b. I created a new folder (ROOTB) as the root for what I publish

c. Everything gets published as highest quality jpgs, these images get put into a sub-folder in ROOTB whose name and location is the same as the original name in ROOTA

So if source is

ROOTA

-Sub1

--Sub11

Image1.nef

--Sub12

Image2000.nef

-Sub2

-Sub21

Image 10001.nef

This gets published as

ROOTB

-Sub1

--Sub11

Image1.jpg

--Sub12

Image2000.jpg

-Sub2

-Sub21

Image 10001.jpg

So, structurally ROOTB looks exactly like ROOTA - just that A has the original raws and B has jpgs

I then have some software that monitors ROOTB and uploads to the cloud, similar in principle to your serving up to a display

I haven't tried it with folders ROOTA and ROOTB being the same, i.e. republishing back into the original structure - could be problematic if the source is jpg, but then exporting back to the original in that case may be anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines