• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NUTCRACKER JAW (SIDE TO SIDE is it possible?)

Participant ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a puppet with a mouth on the side.

He talks out of the side of his mouth like an old school gangster.

But the mouth would look great if I could only do a nutcracker jaw that goes from side to side instead of from up-and-down.

Is that possible? Or do you have any ideas how I might achieve this?

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 4.27.29 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just draw each vizeme? You could make the “mouth” the bottom half of his head (there is no size limit) - then you can custom draw each other position. (I would try with crude mockups first to make sure it does work just in case.). You can also do cycle layers if you want better animation for the mouth movements (I have never bothered myself. I am not much of an artist!)

It is worth remembering that Character Animator (generally) does not care what the shapes of things are - it just moves images around. So you could attach ear twitches to an eye blink behavior if you want to. CH does not care if a mouth is shaped like a mouth or not.

(There are however issues that can come up, so its not _completely_ true - hence worth trying things out first.). With vizemes you get more mouth positions than just nutcracker jaw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to try the nutcracker jaw, here's a quick example of how it might look.

Gangsta_002.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would much rather have the nutcracker job. I like what you did but how do

you make it appear that it is opening by the side I don’t understand I only

have the option to do it position or counterclockwise or clockwise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's what I did very quickly, so it looks pretty rough. I did a screen cap of your picture, added a +Jaw layer, and brought it into CH. This is the rigging -- you can see the new layer outlined in yellow. It has the same color as the original jaw, to cover up the teeth, with a small black line as the closed mouth. Then I tagged it as jaw, moved the origin as shown, set the behavior to rotate clockwise, and fiddled with the jaw strength.

GangsterRig.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines