• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blue sky artifacts in library module after editing that are not there in develop module or prints via print module or when exported*

Participant ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the upgrade to LR Classic CC and with each subsequent update I am getting Blue sky "artifacts" showing on images in library module after editing that are not there in develop module or prints via print module or when exported. I use a MacBook Pro connected to a NEC PA272W monitor using Spectra View II calibration device that came with the monitor and updated to latest version. My OS is latest version High Sierra 10.13.4. LR Classic CC is latest version 7.3.  In navigator if I go to 1:1 and then back to fit the problem goes away. Is there some setting to set up the 1:1 and fit as a default setting? Or is there some other issue that I am missing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Library previews come from the disk cache, while Develop come from the file directly. You can opt for higher quality previews in Library via the File Handling tab in Catalog Settings (Edit menu on PC, Lightroom menu on Mac).

Generally the default medium is a good compromise of size and space, but can show banding in images with areas of graduation. Zooming to 1:1 forces a file read which will improve the preview, but there's nothing you can do other than use higher quality (and therefore physica

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screen shot of what??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Library previews come from the disk cache, while Develop come from the file directly. You can opt for higher quality previews in Library via the File Handling tab in Catalog Settings (Edit menu on PC, Lightroom menu on Mac).

Generally the default medium is a good compromise of size and space, but can show banding in images with areas of graduation. Zooming to 1:1 forces a file read which will improve the preview, but there's nothing you can do other than use higher quality (and therefore physically larger on disk) previews or force a refresh.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I did that and closed and reopened LR.  It  did not fix the issue with existing images I had already edited in the develop module.  Does this only apply at import? I am having LR use the new import preview method that brings in the camera JPG from my Nikon D850 and D500. Never having used this method of inquiry before but not seeing any other communication with adobe method available I have another question ... how do I get notified when someone answers my question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realize that there could be another part of that file handling setting that could be an issue. Mine is set to auto 2560 px I see there is a higher one at 2880 or is just setting the preview setting to high supposed to take care of that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

idahochukar  wrote

I just realize that there could be another part of that file handling setting that could be an issue. Mine is set to auto 2560 px I see there is a higher one at 2880 or is just setting the preview setting to high supposed to take care of that?

Your issue is more likely to be as Sean described than the wrong screen setting, especially since issue is resolved when you zoom to 1:1 and back to Fit or Fill

So far as screen setting goes, it's best that you choose 'Auto'. That way Lr previews are optimised for your screen size. Note that this will not address the artifects you mention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. 98% of the time 27" NEC PA. The other a 15" MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If 'Auto' preview size is chosen then Lr will automatically choose the correct preview resolution. As such, connecting the NEC PA to your MacBook Pro will change the preview resolution from whatever the default is for the MB Pro to the resolution that  best matches the NEC PA

I should have mentioned when I posted this morning (UK time) that one of the reasons for blue sky artefacts is blue channel noise. It's more obvious with Canon cameras (particularly B&W) than Nikon, but can usually be reduced by increasing colour noise reduction to 70-80%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,  I was trying out the new profiles for B&W and some of them really show off that blue channel noise. Fine on my Fuji (and even my Olympus shots from Iceland), but on Canon, yikes...

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SeanMcCormack  wrote

Hi Ian,  I was trying out the new profiles for B&W and some of them really show off that blue channel noise.

Yep, and isn't just the profiles. In previous versions, you could drag the blue channel luminosity down too far when working on B&W images and all hell would break loose. Below is an example I shared with ACR / Lr team as far back as 2013. It's in the Develop module.  Increasing the colour Smoothness to 100% there is only fix. This is why I was (still am) an unhappy bunny, and why I'll keep bending ears 😉

blue channel noise.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You ... The blue channel is where my major issue is and it is most noticeable by far on my Nikon D850,  a bit less on the D500 and almost not at all on D4S. PS I really like some of the new B&W profiles and did not catch any blue channel noise on this one but a much smaller area and % of blue than single and triple Snow Geese against a bright blue sky that brought me to asking this question. I will remember to check on the need to boost the color noise reductionB&W LR profile-4398.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also force Lightroom to generate new previews from the Library>Previews menu at any time. Both Standard and 1:1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I just tested it and that worked 🙂  So after sorting through and culling a new import batch using the camera jpg preview I could then select all the photos and do that. The initial sort and cull is why I use the jpg preview at import.

The question left unanswered ... is there a way to set up, turn on notifications from Adobe when I hav a reply to an inquiry here ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines