• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to place ai files

Advisor ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IND CC: All is up to date. No new updates available.

I'm unable to place ai files. When I try to place it and open the file dialog the file doesn't show. It's no file to be seen in the file directory where the file is located. "All files" are chosen in the file dialog. I'm able to drag and drop the same ai file from the same directory from Bridge directly into IND. What's going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated …

The safest way to place Adobe Illustrator content in an InDesign document is absolute not by placing a .AI file!

Instead, open your .AI file in Illustrator and use Save a Copy to produce a PDF/X-4 file, making sure that the joboptions are set for PDF/X-4 with no color conversions.

Place the resultant PDF/X-4 file into your InDesign document!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you chose File > Open instead of File > Place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm trying to place the file. File > Place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Illustrator file have an AI extension? Does it show the proper icon on your Windows desktop?

If it does, you may need to restore your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will lose most program customizations, and using the keyboard method leaves you with no backup to restore them.

I'm a bit hesitant. I just tried placing a bunch of other .ai files on my system and that worked fine. Yes, my trouble files have the right AI extension and they are visible trough file browser. Adobe Illustrator Artwork 22.0.

The ai files I'm unable to place are saved as copy from a SVG file from within Illustrator. File > Save a copy > Save as type > AI. Could that be the issue here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perrybrus  wrote

… The ai files I'm unable to place are saved as copy from a SVG file from within Illustrator. File > Save a copy > Save as type > AI. Could that be the issue here?

Absolutely.

To save a placeable AI file for InDesign you have to include PDF compatibility.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated …

The safest way to place Adobe Illustrator content in an InDesign document is absolute not by placing a .AI file!

Instead, open your .AI file in Illustrator and use Save a Copy to produce a PDF/X-4 file, making sure that the joboptions are set for PDF/X-4 with no color conversions.

Place the resultant PDF/X-4 file into your InDesign document!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Dov+Isaacs  wrote

… Instead, open your .AI file in Illustrator and use Save a Copy to produce a PDF/X-4 file, making sure that the joboptions are set for PDF/X-4 with no color conversions.…

Hi Dov,

and with no downsampling of placed image files.

Regads,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? It's a vector illustration. I thought Adobe's own file formats could be used with ease cross apps. I've never had any issues with that ever before, that includes the more generic eps by the way.

Ps: PDF compatibility is included in my ai files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could share your file with us to test by posting a link to a service like Dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines