Exit

Is this a bug? Fit2Content with text-box-auto-adjust

Advocate ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

a collegue came in and asked about this:

She has a textbox. When she changes text point size to 100, the box is empty and the overflow icon is showing. To adjust the text box to its content, she now double-clicks on the lower-right corner of the textbox – seems that the fit frame to conten-function is activatated that way. Now the text visible, the overflow is resolved, the textbox got adjusted to fit the text' size.

But:

If you set your textbox to auto-adjust:width (german client here, hope my translation is correct for that feature, screenshot below), the fit to content doesnt work anymore, but should.

The later feature auto-adjust doesnt seem to blend in with fit2content very well. But Im moaning for years now about the crappy fit 2 content, which never worked with rotated images and cuts content.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-19 um 09.33.47.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Hi Jan,

yes. Today in Germany will be the hottest day in April in written history 🙂

( And April's not over yet. )

About Fit-to-Contents :

Old bugs are very hard to fix. The developers we have today are not the ones of the days when the feature was introduced.

And about fixing bugs: With CC 2018.1 the current developers did a fantastic job regarding bug fixing:

March 2018 (13.1) release of InDesign CC Release Notes

Of course, there is an awful amount to do regarding fixing old bugs…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest making a feature request here so it will be seen by product managers. Messages in this forum will not:

Feature Requests/Bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesnt seem to be interested in reputation or that their product actually does what promised. I constantly reported this since CS4. If votes all is they care for, InDesign can gladly become the new Nokia or QuarkXPress.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-19 um 14.03.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan,

I voted for the one you are showing in the screenshot.
Suggestion: If you advertise bug fixing do not forget to include links in your posts.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Uwe Laubender​,

i was a bit angry at Steve Werner only pointing me to the bug-forum. I wanted to gather feedback, because I wasnt sure about my client again …playing games (with my heart) ♫♬♪♫ or having found a bug. I only was assuming the FitContent2Frame is to blame again, but Im guessing here what the 'corner-click' really does.

Do you think its a bug? Or am I using InDesigns tools wrong here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I'm a user like you (I'm not a staff member) and I don't use and don't have time to test that feature this morning.

There's a difference between an unsupported feature and a bug. It seems like it should work (I agree with Uwe).

But InDesign composition is very complex, and it may be a use case which the InDesign engineers didn't include in the specification. That's why I suggested that you file a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply dont get why this state of fit2content could have passed Adobes requirements again and again. I want to understand, how this is handled, because dragging that bug (and I think the textbox-auto-adjust is building on that bug, inheriting the subpar behaviour) for years simply shows Adobe doesnt care: "Meh. Not fit2content again, didnt we revised that 2005? Lets do something more flashy for CC18!". Yes, there are a lot of construction sites, but before implementing new features every version, I would fix my core, not to be embarassed.

…Buuuuut, today its friday and the sun is shining in germany, so no bad feelings this workday, …soon to be over – half day off (AM11:45), BBQ time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan,

yes. Today in Germany will be the hottest day in April in written history 🙂

( And April's not over yet. )

About Fit-to-Contents :

Old bugs are very hard to fix. The developers we have today are not the ones of the days when the feature was introduced.

And about fixing bugs: With CC 2018.1 the current developers did a fantastic job regarding bug fixing:

March 2018 (13.1) release of InDesign CC Release Notes

Of course, there is an awful amount to do regarding fixing old bugs…

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What should be the expected outcome in such a scenario?

Please see the below image which shows the expected behavior as per my understanding.

Also, i have processed the Uservoice thread and we will look into it.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amaarora​, thank you upfront for finally tackling this. But expect a hell of ride: the 'content' can be a really tricky – polygons, groups, skewage, rotation. I somewhere discussed this with Laubender​ in 2016, and other great scripted chimed in, how tricky that would be to mimic/fix Adobes function by script. Maybe Uwe remebers, but i didnt found the discossion to link.

As for you images:

Yes, thats wraps it up: dont cut anything of the content in the frame, whatever transitions that content may has. A simple rotation shows the lack of FitFrame2Content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jan,

do you mean the discussion below?

Actions (like in PS/Illu) in InDesign / functions batch?

Hi Aman,

see especially in my reply #8 here:

Re: Actions (like in PS/Illu) in InDesign / functions batch?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines