• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jan 2018 update - UI scaling

Participant ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help with the following? I've just updated Photoshop CC to the latest release and the UI in Ps has become significantly smaller. I don't want to change the Windows 10 display settings (currently scaled to 150% - the recommended size for my 4k screen).

Changing the Edit>Preferences>Interface>UI Scaling to 200% doesn't do anything even when I restart Photoshop.

Is there a way I can get back the scaling I was happily using until yesterday without changing my PC's general display settings?

I'm squinting to see what I am doing in Ps!

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem only the opposite.

I also have a 4K screen on my laptop and recommended scaling is 250%.

Previously PS UI scaling has been quite small (i'm not to sure what it was set at) but I was happy with it. Now after the update everything is so big it barely fits nice on my screen. I have tried playing with UI scaling, changing between auto, 100% and 200% also tried changing the UI font size on all the different scaling options but nothing changes.

I really hope they fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the EXACT problem with my XPS 9560. SO much screen asset goes to waste. This is a mobile professional's nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same as you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My god, I work on a 13 inch screen with 2K resolution and was absolutely dumbfouded when this just happened to me too. The side panels won't fit and there is no way to circumvent that issue.

That update just f***** my workflow so hard, plus images now open at 5%  with no way of adjusting that setting. It's straight up ununsable, but I have to admit it's the first time I've ever encountered a work breaking problem with Adobe.

Those scaling troubles are kind of a joke for an industry leading software, right now i had to stop using PS since it has become such a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drybouilli  wrote

..........  with no way of adjusting that setting.

Yes there is . For those with Windows 10 fall creators update you adjust the scaling in Windows. Go to Windows > Settings >System > Display >Scale and Layout and set the interface there.   Photoshop now follows that setting.

The preferences are only for those with older Windows versions or with Macs. Unfortunately the labelling does not make that clear.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew about that, but as I said - i have a 13in screen, and can't afford to tweak my whole system scaling for the sake of photoshop. Had I done that, Capture One would have become the next problem, with an ungodly large interface too.

Just hoping the devs will be reactive, I have no other complaint regarding PS and developed quiet hard coded habits with it like a lot of people here!

Edit: just tried that, it doesn't fix the fact that images opened are ridiculously small by default, plus everything else (browser, explorer...) is way to small to be usable sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Granted this works, it makes everything else on the PC unusable though as it ruins the scaling of every other application.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to tell you that it is so silly for Adobe to do such a thing. Do you know how my text on my laptop looks like after the scaling down to 100% from 125% recommended? Am not able to ready anything without getting closer to the screen. The resolution is 1920x1080. The best way to solve this problem is to allow use to be able to re-scale it in the Preference-General-interface page period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve been googling this issue. I use a Wacom tablet (1920x1080p) with my 4K monitor, and with Window 10’s Scale and Layout set to 100% (it’s smallest setting), and Photoshop’s setting set to their smallest for UI options, parts of my menus and drop-down menus are still getting cut off and I can’t use them.

Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT: Since my tablet display was Display 2 as identified by Windows, I had to change Display 2's settings to 100%. For some reason, Windows made the two displays different. Sure threw me for a loop!

Now I just have to figure out why Scrubby Zoom is still grayed out and why Transform will only transform in a 1:1 ratio even when the chain link icon is deselected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the scaling 200% option in the Preferences menu worked, it would be perfect and back to normal - does anyone know why those options don't actually do anything?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right so now I've managed to get PS looking like it did before but I have had to change my monitors scaling, I now have that set to 175% and PS looks exactly like it did before.

Problem now is everything else on PC is now smaller... at least it's a workaround for now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure that works... but unfortunately everything else on the PC now looks comedically large, like my desktop took one of Mario's mushrooms.

Just going to leave this here and see if anyone comes up with a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right now, I don't believe there is a way to control just the scaling in PS. Hopefully some adjustment will be added to PS to allow for some compensation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Problem is quite the opposite. After the update, my scaling has incresed significantly. My laptop is only 1080p and after the update, its scaled everything to windows setting. which is 125%. I cannot change windows settings because it makes the whole windows interface smaller.
Temporary fix is creating a manifest file and add registery option. Photoshop scale settings dont work. Compatiblity settings dont work.

Adobe, please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a full HD Laptop Display with an enormous Photoshop UI which has at least doubled in size after the update. My Win10 scaling is at 125% and I don't want to reduce it further. After having added the third layer in a photo edit I now already have to scroll on the right hand side because there is so little space.

Is there any fix yet or an option for reverting to the old UI size?

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes ,we all have this problem,

Adobe, please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, can't activate the 200% option anymore  and 100% is pretty small. Got the preferences settings on 'auto' and get the 100% scaling where it used to be 200%. Both are not ideal, 150% would be perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And.. same here as well. I can't see crap! I need 150%!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.... same here! Come on Adobe, we need a fix asap!! This is slowing down business.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't hold your breath. Adobe already has your money, they don't give a crap if you can't use the software because the UI is microscopic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe just released a new updated version of Photoshop CC (end of January 2018) - and the app's  UI scaling  just DOES NOT WORK. Period.

I use PS CC on Windows 10 with custom screen resolution. The app simply renders HUGE UI tabs and menu characters - and REFUSES to switch to the smaller-UI-element layout that was there before, just minutes ago (before I updated Photoshop CC) running without a slightest problem...

This is the case EVEN DESPITE I CHANGED UI SCALING SEVERAL TIMES - TO 100% WHERE IT SHOULD BE !!

UI scaling feature in the Interface Menu simply has NO EFFECT, whatever value you set it on....\

Adobe, this truly is NON-PROFESSIONAL.

I depend on this software, I teach graphic design - and I am in the middle of creating a new course on GD with the 100% scaled layout in all of my videos. I cannot work with this UI scaling, it is not possible to explain things that I already started explaining using the smaller 100% scaled UI interface!

Now, you LITERALLY MADE ME STOP my daily work (halt what I do for a living) FOR A NON-SPECIFIED TIME PERIOD - just because you most likely forgot to test and adjust the UI scaling feature in your newest update - which contains other new functions, btw., that I DO NOT NEED AT ALL - while simply killing the one core feature I REALLY NEED FOR MY WORK !!!!!!!!

Please issue a new update with the UI scaling functionality working ASAP ...

N.B. Can't believe I am paying for a program that has such lousy programmed UI scaling error (bug). Photoshop used to be so much better and more reliable when it was sold as a stand alone, non subscription-based, software.

Really, really disappointed. So many people depend on this app to work flawlessly, and UI scaling is one of its core features 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why didn't you keep the old version installed, and continued to record your videos with that version? And you can install the previous version alongside the newest release.

No reason to be stopped in your tracks.

And, yes, I do agree that it is bordering on the ridiculousness that GUI scaling is still an issue in Photoshop. If the developers are able to scale the GUI according to Windows' UI scaling, they should also be able to add a slider in the view preferences that enables users to seamlessly scale the overall GUI up and down.

For inspiration, look at Blender and Paintstorm - both provide seamless GUI scaling, and allow the user to take control. It's a bad idea to leave this up to whatever Windows settings are used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've tried to point out countless times here (but no one seems to get it):

Photoshop cannot allow the whole application to scale. One image pixel still has to map to one screen pixel at 100%!

None of the other applications people like to compare Photoshop to, need to worry about that. They can just scale up everything, done - and that is precisely what they do. Blender is a 3D app that works with geometric shapes and vector data. Yes! it does raster images too, but it can do that the same way as Illustrator does - with total disregard for pixel mapping on screen. Illustrator doesn't even have a concept of 1:1, to Illustrator 100% is just "print size".

Photoshop is a special case. A lot of people don't see beyond their own limited use of the application, but to a large group of users this one to one pixel representation is crucial. Without it, the application becomes unreliable and next to useless to them. You don't have to look further than a photographer at a reasonably professional level.

Do you seriously believe that they haven't made an effort to get this to work? When it has been the single most requested feature - from very vocal paying customers - for the last two years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK but doesn't explain why the options in the Preferences menu don't do anything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines