• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to fill a circle with color

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a layer in my image with only a circle that I somehow drew.

I want to fill it with gray.

In Photoshop, I could select it, then adjust the stroke and fill --  but in Elements 14 I can't find the "arrow" I used to use in Photoshop to select something, so I could make changes.

Somehow I was able to draw the circle, and fill it with color - but now I can't find a way to select it to change things.

....very basic question.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

You can do this in Photoshop Elements. It is critical that you put each component on a separate layer. For drill, try this:

1. File>New>blank file with black background color
  2. Open a blank layer above this and drag out a circle with the Elliptical marquee tool
  3. Open a blank layer above this and go to Edit>Stroke(outline)selection. I used 5 px stroke, placed inside
  4. Open a blank layer above this, and press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+E to create a stamp visible layer, which is a composite of the subjacent layers.
  5. Open a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are you in Expert mode?

In quick mode, you don't get access to all the tools.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Activate the Elliptical Marquee tool, and hold down the shift key as you drag out a circle.
  2. Set you foreground color chip to gray
  3. Go to Edit menu>fill selection>Contents:Foreground color
  4. Press CTRL+D to get rid of the matching ants

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He still has to be in Expert mode, then many of the tools he used in Photoshop will be available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am in expert mode.  I have drawn several circles, on different layers.  I specifically want to change the "fill" color for just that one circle on one layer.  I've found how to change the "outline" of the circle, but no place to change the color of the fill.

In Photoshop, I could point to something to select it, which let me modify it.  Elements seems to have hidden the tools to do that.

It is a very, very basic change.  Nothing fancy.  I want circles over other circles, and one of them needs to be a different color.  Right now, each circle is on a different layer, as I thought that would make it easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

avacto  wrote

It is a very, very basic change.  Nothing fancy.  I want circles over other circles, and one of them needs to be a different color.  Right now, each circle is on a different layer, as I thought that would make it easier.

Since you are quite familiar with the software, why not delete the layer that you reference and replace it with a layer containing the desired circle/color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me, familiar with the software?  Photoshop yes.  Lightroom - yes.  Elements - absolutely not.

I'm not really trying to do what you think I want to do - that was just an easy way to get an answer for what I really DO want to do, without typing for an hour.

My goal is to draw a Bullseye, with each "ring" set to a precise dimension.  I want to put the largest ring on one layer.  I want a smaller ring over it, and another even smaller ring in a higher layer, and finally a small "bull" at the center.  The outermost ring will just be a black circle, with no fill.  The next smaller ring will be a black line, with a black fill over it.  The other, smaller rings, will just be a white line, which will show up fine over the black fill of the second largest ring.

This is an old target I took from a garbage can at the club, to compare with what I am trying to draw.  Making this from Photoshop is so easy.  I thought it was so simple I could do it in Elements, putting each "ring" on a layer above each other, then adding the text on a top level layer. 

I can draw the circle.  I can set the line width, and even the fill.  The tools for this are listed in the "EDIT" menu.  But if I leave that, layer, and come back to it later, those tools are lost.  The only way I can move something, is to move the entire layer.  I have a feeling that Elements doesn't recognize any of my shapes as an element - they are just pixels, located at some location.  That would explain why I can't move them.  So either I use Photoshop on my Windows laptop, or learn GIMP. 

Photoshop is no longer a choice, as it's no longer for sale.  I don't believe in "renting" software.

IMG_3678.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this in Photoshop Elements. It is critical that you put each component on a separate layer. For drill, try this:

1. File>New>blank file with black background color
  2. Open a blank layer above this and drag out a circle with the Elliptical marquee tool
  3. Open a blank layer above this and go to Edit>Stroke(outline)selection. I used 5 px stroke, placed inside
  4. Open a blank layer above this, and press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+E to create a stamp visible layer, which is a composite of the subjacent layers.
  5. Open a blank layer above this and drag out a smaller circle.
  6. Activate the move tool, and nudge into position with the move tool, and resize with the corner handles of the bounding box, if necessary. Arrow keys on keyboard work well for precise placement.
  7. Open a blank layer above this and place the stroke.

circles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will print this out, and save it.

I'll try it later today - I didn't realize I could do many of the things you refer to.

As long as it works, great!!!!....    and from your example, I think we're all set.  I will come back here later today, after trying the example, and then trying to do it on my own for the target.   Thank You!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understand now - I simplified it once I figured out what you meant.

Top layer is just the 1.695" diameter X-ring.

Next layer down is the 3.36" diameter 9 ring.

Next layer down is the 5.54" diameter 9 ring, filled with black

Next layer down is the 8" diameter 8 ring.

Background layer is just white.

I followed your instructions exactly as written, but nothing changed when I deleted layers that didn't seem needed.

I don't understand what you meant by:

1. Open a blank layer above this, and press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+E to create a stamp visible layer, which is a composite of the subjacent layers.

I know this works, but I don't understand how.....

You had me draw a circle on a layer, and in a layer above it, you had me set the stroke.  I have no complaints, as it worked, but I never would have known to do this on two separate layers.

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

avacto  wrote

I don't understand what you meant by:

Open a blank layer above this, and press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+E to create a stamp visible layer, which is a composite of the subjacent layers.

The stamp visible layer combines all the layers. You can delete the layers below with impunity. This is useful when one has a lot of layers in a complex work-flow. You don't have to use it, just an option that is available.

Good luck with your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines