Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow render of jpeg preview after export from tiff

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have not figured out what is going on with my settings when it comes to exporting jpegs and generating the previews. Very slow.

My workflow is to generate full size tiff images from my raw files, then create 2000px jpegs from the tiffs. In both cases I use a custom export preset and have the files added to the catalogue. The files and their previews from the RAW to tiff export generate quickly, but when the smaller jpeg files are exported, it seems to be only able to import the files at a rate of one every few seconds. For a small jpeg, this seems crazy slow. The files themselves seem to be generated from the tiffs fast enough. The progress bar indicates the batch is done in a few seconds, but it can take minutes before they finish appearing in the Folders window in Library. What is going on?

Using the 2018 version of Lightroom CC Desktop on a 4GHz iMAC with 32GB RAM and SSD hybrid drive.

thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could possibly be the process of adding the JPEG images to the catalog. I don't have any experience with that because I don't ever do that. In fact I don't usually create JPEG images unless I need them for a specific purpose. Trying to maintain JPEG copies just means that if I ever change the TIF image I have to make sure I create a new JPEG copy. In the JPEG copy really doesn't accomplish anything, in my opinion other than take up more space in the catalog. But that is just my opinion, and it ain't worth much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a test with 35 raws from a Canon 5d2

Create and reimport TIFF from RAW 1 Min 14 Sec

Create and reimport Small JPG from TIFF. 48 Sec

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming. I should note that this only started happening with the last 2 versions of Lightroom. Also there are people who don't work with RAW images, so I don't know if they are stuck with slow imports.  To reiterate, it's not the production of the jpeg that is slow, it's the rendering of its thumbnail and subsequent appearance in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't confirm your issue.  My JPG from TIFF export/import to thumbnail was FASTER than the TIFF from RAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I misread your first message. Thanks for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to produce jpegs for my clients. I prepare hundreds of photos at a time and this is a real time sucker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines