• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2018 Update or No?

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm always terrified to update to the full release of CC.

Is it like Adobe always does where they use the first full update as a beta and their unwitting customers as the guinea pig beta testers? 

I can only assume it is full of bugs and everyone is crashing and nothing works as per usual.  They usually take a couple of incremental updates to figure things out.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and Adobe has for once done it right and has not thrown the beta testing on their paying customers.

BTW I'm on the newest Macbook Pro 15" OSX 10.12.6, 16gb RAM, Radeon Pro 460

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 2018 on my Win10 rig, totally stable and working happily since day one. As someone with a decent 'sampling' of this board over the last 5 years, this is probably the fewest total posts per day for the first week or so of a release yet. Are there some issues? Yea ... no kidding! ... But how big a percentage of the user base has them? Apparently, not so large.

Which is still to say ... when upgrading, PLEASE be smart. This is a full upgrade, not an update. A complete new build series. 2017 was the 11.x builds, 2018 starts the 12.x. Which means you can have both 2017 and 2018 installed together.

Before upgrading, check your downloads. If you still have the download for 2017, copy it to a different folder.

When you tell the CC Desktop app to upgrade, when the dialog box pops up, click on the Advanced Options box and uncheck "remove previous versions". In fact, if your upgrade dialog does not give you the "Advanced Options" bit, cancel it. Sign out of your CC Desktop app, reboot, and sign back in. You should now be able to "upgrade" with the Advanced options available, and again, uncheck the "remove previous versions" line.

Start new projects in 2018. To test migrating old projects, always migrate a copy of the project file. You can try simply opening them in 2018, which will choose to update the project ... or create a new project in 2018, and in the Media browser, navigate to a copy of a PrPro 2017 project and click the project file, and import the assets or even the project itself that route.

I tend to use the Media browser, as it seems to work better except for the 2017 release, where the simple updating worked more reliably for me. I've been selecting projects in the Media browser and importing them quite reliably in 2018 ... but always, always test. And use copies when you do even for operating projects!

This guarantees that if anything does croak on that project, you still have the 2017 version ready to work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

This is all great to hear.

Yes, I learned my lesson a few versions back to always uncheck "remove previous versions".  Got bit hard and had to find a third party site to download the previous stable version until Adobe got their act together.

What I'm most excited about is the ability to open multiple projects at once!  What a novel idea.  It's like going in the way back machine to something we all could do long ago with FCP.

Having been bit before I'm still going to hold off until I hear from someone (or many someones) on OSX who's had a positive experience like you.  I don't even want to mess around with it.  I know I would be safe by keeping 2017, but aint nobody got time for that.

Thanks for the great input!

Cheers! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Be careful with multiple open projects. I find it's sometimes confusing to know which project you're saving. It also means a regular quick cmd-S doesn't always mean you're safe anymore. Or, for example, a colleague of mine lost a couple hours of work when he had a "junk" project and the "real" project open at the same time. Managed to save the "junk" and discard changes in the "real", which was a real bummer.

//A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 2018 on my Win10 rig, totally stable and working happily since day one.

Same for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would hold off until the bugs are sorted out. Upgraded the full suite yesterday and instantly regret doing so. Premiere has been acting weird on multiple occasions during the short time I've been using CC 2018. So far these oddities has occurred:

- Slow rendering (temporary fixed this by enabling the OpenCL rendering engine, had this set to software rendering in CC 2017 with no render problems whatsoever)

- Macbook Pro freezes / screen turns black / battery drain on rendering (no data loss however, it comes back after rendering has finished and the power plug is back in)

- The position, scale and other adjustments on clips changes on random (temporary fix has been to restart the application)

I'm currently running Sierra 10.12.6 on a Macbook Pro (Late 2013).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick update to my previous comment. Working with Premiere CC 2018 today has been completely bug-free. Did an Mac OS update this morning (still Sierra 10.12.6) and an Adobe update (Illustrator CC 2018). Not sure if it's related but Premiere works flawlessly, not a single crash. Love to be able open multiple projects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm running Yosemite still (always wary to update all the things to be honest) 10.10.5 and though i tried to update premiere through the CC app several times today and it said it was updated - it appears to have not gone beyond 2017. can anyone confirm that the operating system needs to be upgraded first, before i can go to the newest version? would very much like to stay at this one (as all y'all are having some issues with bugs for now it seems) but have just been passed of a project file I need to work on that is from the 2018 version. any ideas welcome and thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Yosemite too and I'm getting a message that says I'm required to update my OS first.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 10.07.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12.0.0 Is the worst! Upgraded last night, using macbook pro late 2015 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

It freezes every session. Can not work more than 8-10 minutes. Ca n not even downgrade to last edition. And i have to pay for this ****?

So disapointed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to reality.  Not to make fun, however, you've learned a lesson about installing anything 'dot zero' release.

Therefore, you've unwittingly joined the bug testing pool.

This is not entirely Adobes fault.  There is a myriad of hardware and software configurations to entertain.  Not to mention third party plugin and hardware vendors whom also need to deal the new release.  So I wait for those bugs, if any, to be zapped as well.  As an engineer, I can tell you that life in the labs does not accurately imitate reality, (this is where the term "mad scientist" comes from. ).

Neil is correct.  This is a major release and can be installed alongside older versions.  Therefore, you need to ensure that you set the installation to not install over or remove older versions. 

Check list:

1) Did I read the "what's new about this install" and all pertinent documentation?

2)  All important 3rd party hardware and plugins are complaint?

3) I've visited the forums for all these, (not just Adobe)?

3) Updated drivers exists?

4) Updating OS patches exist?

5) Check all file associations after the install?

Despite all this, not all installs go well, and I have to restore from a disk image and only lose a few hours.  Reattempting the upgrade later.  I also save a copy of all downloaded updates, including hardware drivers, etc. In case the image file fails and I need to start from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiya, had all the same probs after installing APPCC2018 and rendering the exact same projects that were simple animations of sizes 9600x48px / 1024x768px / 1112x48px went from about 20sec. to something like +20min.

Always with max rendering and all the bell and whistles in both scenarios and output to H264/MP4 and Animation/MOV codec/formats.

Really simple still image animations and a handful of dissolve transitions between the images and some text.

Made some changes in the Sequence Settings / Preview - think I went from I-Frames to QT and matched the px size and it helped just a little bit.

After spending hours upon hours of trying to troubleshoot the relased 2018 BETA! -I gave up and re-installed the APPCC2017 version again and finished up my projects as smooth as usual in the 20sec. range of rendering and exporting.

Well could´nt at first because I saved the files (overwrited) in 2018, but found some usable files in the "Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save" folder that only needed the final tweaks re-do, re-done, re-did it... So do NOT save/overwrite your 2017 files from the 2018 version.

Probbly should have put all the .prproj files in a folder named 2017 and copied it and re-naming to 2018 before working from the 2018 version, but never imagined that upgrading to the newest and latest could be such a grueling and timeconsuming experience... and FRUSTRATING!

BUT HERES THE THING! After finishing up in 2017 I went OCD and wanted to compare settings  between 2017 and 2018 version, but after installing the 2017 and re-opening projects in the 2018 build it was back to normal and handled the very same "problematic" tasks with ease.

So maybe it is not due to bugs and program error as such, but more an issue of missing drivers or small fiddely files lurking around and/or missing somewhere in hidden subfolders and root directories?

Anyways I am just a happy user (when it works in drag and drop style I´m all good) and far far away from understanding programming, coding and tekky stuff, but now both are working and I will keep the 2017 version installed just in case and then keep on working (and beta testing) the 2018.

Hope this will help some of you guys out as well.

BTW I am on a MacBook Pro 15" retina of late 2012 running High Sierra (yes I also updated my OS to HS in the troubleshooting process due to the announced video enhancements, but it did not fix the rendering and exporting issues of the 2018 build).

Bstrgds

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a big problem! Every time I go to click on the different tabs at the top, like Effects, Assembly, Editing, and so on. As soon as I click on a different tab then what I was on when I opened the project...it goes right to a blank screen. I've even tried going to workspaces and clicking on the one I want from that way, but it still crashes! I'm using a MacBook Pro 15, 16G Ram. I've been searching for answers online everywhere! Does anyone have any answers? If not I think I might have to ride this wave out until the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are crashes experienced in this thread occurring when trimming or editing clips in the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not happy about upgrade.

As mentioned before - multi project environment is confusing, destroyed project because of it.

Windows and navigation (including cursor) disappear after you switch view mode.

Using it on Windows 8.1 , Xeon Processor, 64 GB RAM, Quadro M4000 card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows and navigation (including cursor) disappear after you switch view mode.

Not sure exactly what you mean there.

"View mode" ... do you mean workspaces, the highlighted panel ... ?

And have your tried to Reset a workspace?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sorry Neil, you must be aware of this 2018 bug by now!

See this video if you need to understand this one better (skip forward to 1 Min): Mazaska Talks - Modify Titles with Essential Graphics - YouTube

This happens on 4/4 of our workstations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My comment was because PrPro doesn't have "view modes" so I was asking for clarity. What was the OP meaning by "view mode".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Neal, I ment workspaces.

And here is a video with missing cursor. Navigation is working, menu is working, all buttons and tabs are working, but cursor is missing.

It happened before in some 2017 releases, but now it is back and happens more often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it looks pretty enough I suppose ... whaddya need a cursor for, anyway? Like, working? 

That's a problem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Devyn already posted about missing windows.

Also sometimes when I switch in my existing workspace from "Media browser" to "Effects" cursor can go missing and scroll bar and video navigation bar stop responding or just disappear. Please see image attached. To solve this I need to restart Premiere Pro (Menus are still working while cursor is missing).

nav.jpg

P.S. I've updated drivers for my Nvidia and I hope this will help. AT the moment it is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, I would try the old nuclear option ... download & run the Adobe CC Cleaner tool to wipe out PrPro, reboot, and from the CC app download a fresh copy of the program. See if that works. Hopefully. Noting that for one of the people above, he'd gone back to 2017, then apparently tried to mess with things and re-installed 2018, at which point it worked fine.

Hoping that will work for you.

And ... file those bug reports ... we want the development team to be totally aware of how many are having such issues.

Neil

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

multi project environment is confusing, destroyed project because of it.

I know what you mean.  I work with templates and multiple projects create confusion. I would suggest that you get into the habit of keeping only one project open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are in the middle of something never do this ever. (Something will go wrong 100%)

If you're not, try it out on something small and meaningless.

I was working on a project for several months, had to reinstall windows, forcing me to reinstall PPCC, but couldn't go back to 2017 properly because of a "Dolby Codec issue".

Now 2018 has not run for longer than 9mins, I haven't gotten any significant progress in the project since I've been in 2018, it hurts muh soul.

Adobe tech was no help for hours.

My project won't even let me switch windows to another program without freezing.

On top of that there is a known memory leak that'll burn through your RAM (32gb) in a hot second, causing your PC to ultimately crash if unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you're having such a mess of a time, that's ... horrid.

If you give some details of your gear, media, effects, and workflow, your peers here might be able to get you going.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines