• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Swap out puppet "clothes" while maintaining existing animation?

Participant ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick #AdobeCharacterAnimator question for the hive mind: if I already have an animation synced to a performance but I want to "change clothes" (alter the puppet's body in Photoshop), can I swap out the puppet file and keep the animation already in place? Or do I need to redo it?

FYI this is a variation on the Clay puppet, so all I'm doing is altering the body layers which don't have any animation assigned to them (other than staying with the head as it swivels).

TIA,

JVK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t know the exact rules, but you can certainly make some changes. The latest release has more features I have not tried yet around copy / pasting between puppets so you could try creating a new puppet and copy/paste things over to be safe.

otherwise select the scene and duplicate it as a form of backup before you start fiddling.

i have also opened Puppet in CH and AI, made changes, stuffed things up, then undid changes in Ch then Ai then hit the sync button in the scene. I have not lost a project yet that I could not recover... but I still make backups first! just be aware if you change the artwork file and CH forgets details, doing undo in AI is not enough. You need to undo CH to get back to before the last refresh to recover lost rigging

in the rigging window you can type control-E to bring up the editing tool on the right copy of the artwork.  Things go wrong the most when you change the layer structure too much. Little changes are generally fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How I do it is to place the new clothing layer directly below the original and repeat for each layer.

Then create a Trigger or Swap Set to change the clothes either independently or all together.

How that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

***Hope that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the responses everyone!

What I wound up doing was going into the Puppet panel and changing the puppet file it was pointing to, swapping it for the one modified with the new clothes. That kept the animation we had originally synced to performance.

I should note that we're still on the previous version of CA18, which does not have the ability to copy and paste animations between puppets in a scene (like "Paste Attributes" in Premiere). Hopefully that's in the new version or else a future version.

JVK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines