• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom Intuos Pro pen not working properly with latest version of Photoshop

Advisor ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grateful for some help with an odd problem that has just cropped up.

I am using the latest, updated version of Photoshop under W10 Pro 64bit and my Wacom equipment is an Intuos Pro small tablet with grip and classic pens.

I am using the latest Nvidia and Wacom drivers, and W10, are up to date. I have 32Gb ram  and a 6700 cpu.

This set up was working fine until a few days ago and the tablet STILL works ok with Corel Painter 2018.

The problem is that the pen tool will not leave a brushstroke on a layer and after a moment begins to move the whole layer (still making no brush mark) as you move the brush. This is apparent using a simple brush, or an Art History Brush or the Pattern Stamp tool (as a cloning brush) indeed any brush that should make a mark.  The (SteelSeries wired) mouse seems to work and be unaffected.

I have tried resetting preferences and there is nothing about this issue in the Wacom user forum that I cans see. I have also tried using an earlier Wacom driver but that did not help.  I have not tried rolling back the Nvidia driver a couple of versions and am reluctant to reinstall Photoshop because it is a big job.

Can anyone suggest any answers, please?

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

The latest Windows 10 cumulative update is probably causing the problem. (March cumulative update) Uninstall it and see if that helps. That worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem that I have just discovered with my Intuos Photo today, yet I have tried updating my driver for it, using a previous version of Photoshop, resetting Photoshop's default preferences, and updating various drivers for my PC, but nothing seems to work.

Weirdly enough, when I tap on the tablet, it does draw little dots, but when I try full lines it drags the page as if I was panning the camera, and this goes for any of my tools, not just the paintbrush..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest Windows 10 cumulative update is probably causing the problem. (March cumulative update) Uninstall it and see if that helps. That worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe, but why would Corel Painter work ok with my Wacom equipment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see exactly the same behaviour with the dots and other tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this gets worked out soon, I was opening my homework and couldn't draw, and instead dragged the age around instead. I was getting seriously frustrated thinking maybe a key was stuck or something, even getting my spare tablet and checking it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem and I'm using a cintiq 13hd with the pro pen 1.

I have all the latest drivers

Windows 10. MSI i7 processor with Nvidia gtx 680m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your Cintiq work ok with other software like Corel Painter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a relief to know it's not just me....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try uninstalling this Windows update, this has fixed that issue for other people

windows.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to you and Jim Sanderson.  That worked!  Back to normal.  I don't know what the consequences are for my OS but I'm happy to have normal operation back in CC. Thanks again.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find out here what issues the update addressed

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4089848/windows-10-update-kb4089848

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Nothing too serious for my system if my non expert eye reads the changes correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUT... Windows keeps automatically installing the update that is causing the problem.  Does anyone know how to stop this, please? Is there a way to cast this update into oblivion?

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, In Windows go to Windows Update Settings.  At the bottom of the pop up is "Advanced Options".  In that pop up is "Pause Updates.  That will pause updates for 30 days.  Maybe they'll have a fix by then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jim. I've given that a go.  I hope Adobe/Microsoft have picked up this problem and are fixing it.  Many people must have been affected by it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think maybe this item in KB4089848 has caused the problem:

"Addresses issue with the press and hold feature when using a pen in Tablet mode" from the MS list of improvements here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4089848/windows-10-update-kb4089848

I think this item was meant to correct this fault:

"Digital Pen input is interpreted as touch instead of mouse after Windows 1709 Fall Creator Update 36492"

This is listed here:

Digital Pen input is interpreted as touch instead of mouse after Windows 1709 Fall Creator Update · ...

I may be quite wrong but the problem the update was meant to fix seems to have been exacerbated by the update. The problem being the canvas dragging instead of intended action like a brush stroke.

Maybe I have gt this wrong.  Apologies if I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely nothing has solved this problem. Nothing.  I've tried every single solve that apparently works for other users and yet nothing works on my computer.  I've exhausted every possibility.  Every forum has a different fix and none of them last more than a few brush strokes and I'm back to the same problem.  The brush will move the entire canvas around my screen.

So.... I'm uninstalling Windows 10 and going back to 7...  I'll let you know if that works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can't be such an isolated issue.  So many artists use Cintiqs and they use Photoshop.  They update Windows and Wacom drivers and yet there seems to be zero long term solutions short of disabling Windows Ink, which as you know, also disables the brush sensitivity.  So it's not a solution.  Truly frustrating.  Makes me wanna switch to a Mac...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time with this intractable problem.  As you say, it must be widely experienced. I am hoping a future W10 update will solve the problem permanently for me. Fingers crossed that W7 will be ok for you.  Do you experience the problem in Corel Painter 2018?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like, for now, the only fix is uninstalling the Windows 10 Update mentioned above and then shutting off the automatic update aspect in Services.  I did, however, just buy a Mac Pro today.  I might just say goodbye to PCs.  I can't "never" update my computer again.  That's ridiculous.  But if there's some important update, I can look forward to experiencing this problem again.  I'm not sure it's worth it.  Thank you everyone for posting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue. It's definitely that Windows Update.. Really annoying.. I was wondering what happened since things were fine the night before.

Thanks for the help.. even if there's a 30 day delayed fix.. ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I was having issues with really bad brush/eraser lag. I watched this part of this vid and it helped a lot.

MAKING PHOTOSHOP PAINTING FAST - Tutorial - YouTube

You need to create a .txt file named "PSUserConfig.txt" with the following contents in the file:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

and place it in your C:\\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings\.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Retenu, the fix from that video fixed the full screen scrolling issue on my machine...and it got rid of the lag I'd been putting up with. Thanks so much! Fixed PS 2014 and 2018 on win 10 for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem with the pen tool that didn't leave a brushstroke on a layer and after a moment it was begining to move the whole layer (still making no brush mark) as I moved the brush. This PSUserConfig.txt file worked for me. THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines