Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 8 Search Functionality

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I've Installed trial of RH8 and RH8 Server. With RH8 am most interested in the improved search engine. I like that search results are now ranked and keywords can be implemented. I was looking at the RoboHelp 8 Reviewers Guide, and besides just ranking also notes that "topic context in the search results list provides a quick glance summary". However, unless I'm missing something, I can not see how to do this. When I publish and then test out the search, I just get ranked results and it is not showing the quick glance summary.

Am I missing something?
Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To enable topic context in search result, you must check the checkbox "Show Context in Search Result" in SSL dialog. This option is enabled by default. So if you haven't changed the default settings, this should be already checked for you.
Are you trying to generate webhelp or flashhelp? For webhelp, topic context is shown below the topic name but for flashhelp, it appears as a tooltip when you hover your mouse over the topic name.

Tulika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On RHServer,to enable topic context in search result, the client-side indexing should be enabled.To do so,
-go to <RHServer8 installation path>/WEB-INF,
-open robohelp_server.properties file in notepad.
-set reindex=false (by default it is set to true).
-Restart the server(restart tomcat service)

Deepa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tulika, I'm generating to WebHelp Pro. With WebHelp I can see the "Show Context in Search Result" checkbox, but does not seem to be an option with WebHelp Pro.

Thanks Deepa, I will try that - or at least get my IT guy to do. How is a user supposed to know that they need to do this? Is this in some tech notes somewhere? and why do they have to make it so difficult to configure this for RH Server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Option to "Show Context in Search Result" is present in WebHelp Pro SSL dialog under the section "Additional Options" on first page of SSL properties.
But as Deepa correctly mentioned, search context will not show up with reindex property set to true.

Let me elaborate a bit on what this property means:
Search for projects published on RoboHelp Server 8 can be based on search-index generated by RoboHTML client or on index generated by RoboHelp Server.
Its upto user which kind of search-index he wants to use.
Specifying "reindex" property to "true" enables RoboHelp Server side indexing and setting it to false enables RoboHTML side indexing.
This property is set to "true" by default because search-indexing capability on RoboHelp Server is better and has better support for CJK languages as compared to that of RoboHTML.
Also server side indexing enables wildcard search on server.
But using Server side indexing has its own cons as well. One of them is the one experienced by you i.e. you do not get any topic context in search results.
Other is that in case of server side indexing, RoboHelp server ignores the synonym list, phrase list, stop list, and ignore list of the project while generating the search-index.

So its upto the user discretion and requirement, that he can choose to enable/disable server side indexing.

Tulika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2009 Feb 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tulika. Sorry, I missed seeing that option in WebHelp Pro. I guess I'll have to decide if it is worth changing the reindex property. You've provide some good info. We're currently publishing to RH Server and love the reporting tool, but I think I need to decide if we should continue to do so based on those cons. However, it does say on the help.adobe.com site that the new RH server supports Synonym search, along with other enhancements. Let me know if any of these other enhancements require changing server properties. I am also very interested in configuring different instances of RoboHelp Server to host different Help systems. Maybe if I want this functionality, I should definately upgrade to RH8 Server.

Problem today, is that about 30% of all searches come up as No Results Found, and these are all words that should definately have results, so I'm interested in testing out the Keyword search enhancement - just trying to discover how that works.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2009 Feb 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can check out all the required details about enhanced search feature of RoboHelp Server in this thread -
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=457&threadid=1422721#5...

Tulika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2009 May 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I was hoping to read the information identified by Tulika (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=45 7&threadid=1422721#... ) but it just brings me back to the Forums page. Does this thread still exist?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really Rick, all this banging on about the wonders of an Index. Have you not heard of Search?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1034640#1034640

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wowza golly gee! I guess the forum search works after all!

I rather assumed it didn't, as friedlanders wasn't able to find the thread.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp