• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot edit text in DC pro. Help?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PDF file that I am trying to edit.  There are some typos I need to correct. The file opens fine, but when I try to edit any portion of the text, the whole page goes nuts and jumps all over the place.  The text goes all wacky, jumps off the page boundaries and the curser jumps to a complete other spot on the page. This happens no matter what function I try to perform.  Please help me !

[Moved from non-technical Lounge Forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

PDF files were not meant to be edited in this way. It works well for some, but not others.

Basically you need to go back to the original file format used to create the PDF, edit it, and then create a new one.

If that's not possible you can try exporting the PDF to an editable format, like MS Word, and then edit it there and finally convert to a new PDF when done. Make sure to keep a copy of the Word file, in case you want to edit it further in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files were not meant to be edited in this way. It works well for some, but not others.

Basically you need to go back to the original file format used to create the PDF, edit it, and then create a new one.

If that's not possible you can try exporting the PDF to an editable format, like MS Word, and then edit it there and finally convert to a new PDF when done. Make sure to keep a copy of the Word file, in case you want to edit it further in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Acrobat editing functions work reasonably well for "good" PDF files. In your case, I assume you are dealing with a file that has problems. Acrobat is able to display the file correctly, but once it needs access to more information in the PDF file in order to edit it, things go wrong. Try67's advice about always keeping the original file around is very important. Unfortunately that's not much help when you are trying to edit a file that you did not create yourself.

If exporting the file to MS Word does not work (which I would expect, based on the state of the PDF file), then saving the PDF document as a series of high resolution TIFF images, importing these images back into Acrobat, running OCR, and then editing may be your only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.  I figured this was going to be the answer, but I hoped I was wrong.  This is a book and the files were create by Tate Publishing, which went out of business before they published the book.  I am trying to help the author publish them on Amazon.com, these are the files that Tate Publishing gave him.  I have no contact with Tate, so I can't request the source files if they still have them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I cannot edit either. Bought "PRO" to do wedding invitations. edit tool only 'moves' page around.

tutorial video unhelpful. my  file will not edit - (except on right click - which is very limited -)

either not a good program, or not a good tutorial!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. open file

2. click 'edit pdf' tool

3. click text or image  you wish to edit    -   OOPS!! NOPE!! this gives me a cross-hatch mouse pointer that ONLY moves the entire page around..

NO!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That means the entire page is an image (probably a scanned one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the entire page is pdf?   that's not my doing... the program did it when i saved - to your program, in your files, in your format.

this is a poor program for me to use for wedding invitations. 

- i deleted 'reader' so that would not affect anything... i changed 'properties' to ensure 'dc pro' is default.

it still does NOT WORK!

(entire page moves with cross hatch pointer.) 

thanks for your reply and advice - but like your tutorials - it is useless to me inediting my wedding invitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How did you create the PDF file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines