Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to open acsm files, nothing happens

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My Adobe Digital Edition is both authorised on my computer and on my ebook reader (kobo). I am on Windows 10 and had to reinstall ADE since I upgraded recently. When I rent a book from a digital library, it sends me an .acsm file that I was normally opening with ADE.. Now everything is set like before and when I open an .acsm file, nothing happens and the menu items are greyed-out and the book never show up. If I start ADe and just try to look what books are on my reader, it's fine but when I try to open an .acsm things gett ugly. I thought maybe I need to reauthorise my computer, so did the process again, but still had the same issue. I reinstalled ADE, made the authorisation but still have the same issue.

At this poins, I have looked online several hours but couldn't find a solution to my problem so I am asking on this forum. Maybe it's a compatibility issue with Windows 10, but right now I'm out of option.

TOPICS
ADE authorization

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try right click on the file and choose open with. In this menu choose Digital Edition and activate the option that this program was used allways for this format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. The option is already to open it with Digital Edition. Same thing happens if I do it with files>open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital Edition was open without the eBook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital Edition is already open; either I double click the eBook file or in ADE I go file > open then select my file, nothing happens and the meny is greyed-out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was anything file display or have you a empty library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2016 Sep 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the library doesn't show up, after 3-4 tries, it sometimes display but as soon as I try something it goes away. That's a pretty strange situation and at this point I'm desperate. I need a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems has digital Editoin problem to read the eBooks in the My Digital Edition folder.
Closed Digital Edition.
Rename the Folder my Digital Edition under your Documents.

Start again.
Download a eBook and check if the File was show of the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent many hours trying to get downloaded books to show up in ADE, to no avail. I have Windows 10. I tried uninstall ADE, reinstall, erase authorization, delete the suggested HKEY, etc. Still, presented with a blank ADE screen under the ribbon. No books.

WHAT WORKED FOR ME, per Nanaky's suggestion, was to close ADE and then rename My Digital Editions in Documents in This PC (I simply renamed it My Digital Editions_old). Next time I fired up ADE, it recreates a new My Digital Editions and all is well. I see all the books loaded into KOBO again and can finally download new books from the Ontario Library again into the KOBO Aura. Note that you should previously have set up and opened OverDrive with email and a password (instead of using your library card number), and then authorized your PC and your Kobo by selecting OverDrive (instead of Adobe ID) and using the same email and password. That way everything is linked together properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue as you JMP112345. I finally fixed it. Follow these directions.  Hope this helps you.

Resolution: Follow these steps:

1. Uninstall Adobe Digital Editions using one of these two  methods:
    • Start > Programs > Adobe > Adobe Digital Editions  > Uninstall
    • Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add Remove  Programs
  2. Initiate Uninstall
  3. In order to remove all remnants of Adobe Digital Editions /  Adobe Adept from the machine a "Registry Edit" will need to be  performed:
    • Start > Run > Regedit
  4. Search for HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Adobe >  Adept and Delete the full "Adept" folder
  5. Remove only the structures that are under the "SOFTWARE"  extensions. This will remove the Adobe ID / License and Activation Keys
  6. Clear any outstanding tasks that may be associated to Adobe  Digital Editions downloads
    • C:\data\my digital editions
    • C:\my documents\my digital editions
  7. Delete any documents within these folders:
    • Restore > Tasks
    • Restore > Failed
  8. Re-install Adobe Digital Editions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, after wasting the better part of 2 days trying to get ADE to open my acsm ebook, i downloaded KBO free. It opened my ebook flawlessly. I don't suggest wasting time with ADE. That is Adobe's job, not ours!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines