• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening older xpj files in RH 7

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2009 Feb 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am responsible for editing some Robohelp HTML help systems created originally in an earlier (pre-Adobe) version of RH (I think v5.x). All I have access to at the moment is a trial download of RH HTML v7. When I attempt to open the older .xpj file, I get a warning that the file will be converted/upgraded to the newer version and is irreversible, i.e. it will no longer be backwards-compatible (makes sense).

My question: Does anyone know if it's even possible to find a trial download of such an old version of the product? That would make it easier because I have dozens of these projects to convert.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2009 Feb 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew.

There is no link to download a trial version of RHX5. That version was pre-Adobe even. Someone somewhere must have a licence / CD for Robohelp X5 where you are if it was used in the past, so I'd start by asking around.

If that really falls flat, you could update the projecy in the RH7 trial but there would be no going back to using RHX5 once you start. As always make a backup of your project first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, Colum (I should be Andrew McColum and then we'd be a match!). That's what I feared. The issue is that I took over this project from a contractor who has now left the company and it was his own copy of RHX5 that he was using; and my company (due to current economy) is not allowing software purchases unless they're absolutely essential. So I think if I can use the 30-day trial version in X7 (making backups first) I should be ok (I'll work quickly ).

In the meantime,if there's anyone reading this board who has a copy of X5 that they want to give me, ..... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew. Not sure Stilvelman is a gaelic name. Mind you you never know as we got around quite a bit 150 years ago

I'd try the "You want me to update this project? Well buy me a legal copy of the program to do so" arguement. That sounds fairly essential to me. Perhaps if you state that if they want further changes down the line that they'd have to buy a licence as you can't reinstall the trial as it writes to the master boot record of your PC. If that doesn't work, the trial is fully functional unlike previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Well, it's a matter of $$$ at the moment...and Adobe products are not cheap. I will probably only be able to do what I need to do for these 30 days and that'll be it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

So, I have other technical questions but perhaps should start a new thread. It's regarding converting .xpj files into DocBook XML. I've tried it and it's messy, at best (at least for the DTD that my company uses).

(P.S. Stivelman is not Gaelic LOL LOL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp