• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Instructional Designer

Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am new to the field of ID. I have been an educator for 10 years but am trying to learn as much about all the e-learning software that is available, Captivate, Camtasia, Articulate, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting that first job or contract? It seems that they all want experience (at least 3 years). I feel like a kid coming out of college again. Does anyone have any ideas or any projects that I can "intern" on or work on so that I can get some experience or solid things to create a portfolio with?

Any suggestion provided is helpful to me.

Thanks in advance.

Rob
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest contacting your local community college. Most state systems have an online education presence and many hire adjunct instructors.There are a wide variety of offerings, from continuing education, technical training, to associates degree and college transfer courses. Perhaps you could teach an online course (training is generally provided, often instructors receive a supplement for developing online courses) and gain some development experience. If you’re not inclined to go that route, community colleges and universities alike are offering continuing education courses in instructional design and software to meet the growing demand for e training in education and industry. I got my feet wet with an MLA formatting in Word 2007 lesson on YouTube…it’s great to track who’s viewed your work and get some feedback. There is a plethora of information available… and some incredibly generous big time major experts sharing right here on this very forum…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 10, 2009 Feb 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent you a PM rokenn3rd.

Basically i would create some of your own training courses, host them on a site, and then contact potential customers. Thankfully MANY websites still have static help pages explaining their product.

For me seeing a short demonstration of some software is much better than some 20 page help guide online. I've created short demos and then shown them to potential customers, once they see them they really like them. Try that route ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSJ, thanks for that. I have been creating some demos and will be finishing them soon. As far as potential customers, what type of customer did you contact and how did you go about that? I hope that's not too private info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent you a PM !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
THanks. I responded to the PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources