• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom - Right click a folder does not show popup context menu

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom 6.1.1, Windows 7 -- right click a folder in the left side folder list is supposed to show a contextual popup menu.

It doesn't work.  Nothing happens.

Thanks for any help!

Mo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would first try updating to LR 6.14, which is the last release of LR 6, and is a free update for you since you already own LR 6.

Download Photoshop Lightroom

If that doesn't help, then try deleting your preference file.

Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom 6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, try rebooting your computer. That sometimes fixes a balky Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick help, guys...

I tried:

- Rebooting computer

- Upgrading to 6.14

- Deleting preferences files

No change.  Still no popup menu when right click on a folder.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you could post a full-resolution screenshot of your LR window, pointing out exactly where you're trying to click.  Sometimes that adds context and points towards where the problem might be...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screen shot...

LR snap.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Does the problem happen when you right-click on a folder not marked with a "?", e.g. "Snap Photos"?  (The "?" on the folder indicates that LR thinks it is missing from its original location. Right-click should work on such folders.)

2. If you right-click on a thumbnail in Library grid view, do you get a context menu?

3. If the answer in 2 is no, try right-clicking on a file or folder in Windows File Explorer -- do you get a context menu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good questions, johnrellis...

1. There is no popup (the problem happens) when I click ANY folder, whether it has the "?" or not

Also, no popup when click an item under Catalog or Collections

2. I DO get a context menu popup  when click on thumbnail in Library grid view

3. See #2

More info:

4. The context menu popup DOES work when click a "heading" in the left column file menu.

Examples - these work fine:

- Click Collections

- Click hard drive

Totally strange...

Many thanks,

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, strange symptoms.

Two more thoughts:

1. Are you using a generic mouse or a table/pen or some other device that requires special drivers?  There have been occasional issues with such devices reported in the past.

2. Try making a new test catalog and import a few photos into it.  Does right-click still fail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and:

3. Do you have the Windows 7 DPI scaling set to something other than 100%? 

Get a better view in Windows 7 by adjusting DPI scaling - TechRepublic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I'm using Microsoft mouse

2. Made a new test catalog - same problem

3. Using max/recommended DPI  - 1920 x 1080

Also

4. Tried using LR on another monitor that is attached to my laptop

Nothing works... Ugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's always the last gasp: completely uninstall and reinstall, which infrequently solves such problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup.  I had thought it was a "unique" problem.  Very few posts about it..

Thanks for trying to help.

- M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update...  I noticed I had the right-click problem when clicking on a photo thumbnail in the grid.  But after a couple of second, the context menu popped up!  Coincidentally, I noticed that LR seemed to be making everything way slow.  The computer was constantly making disk and processing noise.  After a while, right-click a photo thumbnail in the grid became more responsive.

So I thought this "lag time" might be what's causing right-click to not work on the folders.  However, even after waiting 15 seconds after the click, the context menu still did not appear.

I still believe there is something going on with LR eating up a lot of the computer's memory or processing time or something else to do with performance.  I'm going to do some research about how to make LR faster...

thx,

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines