• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple bug with "Find"

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has existed across countless Acrobat versions!  If you do a Find, click Next until you're on the last item, and then click Previous, the software will say "no more matches were found".  It should instead find the previous match!

It's beyond my comprehension how this simple bug has gone unfixed for so long.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very curious... I just opened up a 13 page PDF, did a search for a fairly commonly used word, and clicked my way through to the last instance.  An additional click of Next jumped back to the very 1st instance on page 1.  When on that last one on page 13, I can hit Previous,  and successfully be brought to the previous instance.  So in my installation (Windows / Acrobat Pro DC v. 2018.011.20038), the bug is not apparent.  What exact version are you using, and OS?

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zz,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, when you use "Find" instead of finding the previous match, Acrobat says "no more matches were found", Is that correct?

What is the dot version of Acrobat installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Is it a Mac or Windows machine? Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the error/issue you are getting? To share a screenshot, please refer to https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7043#jive_content_id_How_do_I_attach_a_screenshot

We would highly appreciate if you think this is a bug and need modifications, please use the URL to share your feedback to request new features or suggest modifications to existing features Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Please share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anand, thanks for your reply.  I'm using Win10, Acrobat Pro 2017, 2017.008.30051.

To replicate: hit Ctrl-F, type a word that appears multiple times in the PDF, and click Next until it reaches the last occurrence of the word.  Now if you click Next or Previous, a pop-up window will appear stating "Adobe Acrobat has finished searching the document. No more matches were found.".  The bug is that clicking Previous at that point should find the previous occurrence.

Apparently Dave's software loops the find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would also wonder if it is document specific.  PDFs come from a million places, and are produced a million ways.  That said, does the problem happen with all PDF documents for you?  The document I used contained structural tags.  If you go to Document Properties (Ctrl-D), check to the lower left of the Description Tab.  A tagged PDF will be more precisely defined under the skin, and that might be why mine behaved the way it did, and yours didn't... purely speculation.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines