Exit

I can't find the file directory on the "LOCAL"

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2016 Aug 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone,

My phone is a LG k8 with Android 6.0.

When I use the option "HIGHLIGHT", appears the following msg: "this application is read-only, and that's why the changes cannot be saved. Want to create a local copy on your device to continue editing? ".

Click on "SAVE" and the editing is enabled.

When I go look for the newly saved file directory in the tab "LOCATION", appears the following directory:/data/user/0/com.adobe.reader/files/Downloads, which is non-existent!

I can't find this directory in order for the file manager.

Any hints on where this file may have been saved and how do I find it via file manager?

TOPICS
Android

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

The reason for this behavior is that some OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturer) mount external storage as read-only. When a pdf file(stored on an external storage) opened in Acrobat Reader, Acrobat Reader gives you an option to create a local copy of the file. The local copy that is created is under the private area of the app and no other app on the device can access this location.

Thanks,

Shivam

View solution in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi orlandot96351370  ,

I am not able to reproduce the issue at our end. Could you let us know what's the default storage location is set on your phone?

Try to connect you phone to the computer via USB and see if you can find the location.

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2016 Sep 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question. The folder /data/user/0/  etc. is nowhere to be found using  the File Manager and is not found when my LG4 is connected to my computer. So where is this file to be found? 

Adobe Acrobat reader indicates that the folder exists since saving the pdf file for creating comments enabled the file to be stored in a local directory with aforementiond URL string in the first place. So where is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Shivam,

I connected my phone to the computer via USB, but i can't find the location yet. I searched on the folders of SD card and internal memory, but i don't found the directory specified by app... the " /data/user/0/com.adobe.reader/files/Downloads "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi orlandot96351370 , Harrywinterbottom41  ,

I have tried to reproduce the issue at our end and the location which you mentioned exist on the phone.

Could you please let us know if this is happening with a specific file or with other file as well?

Would it be possible for you to share the file with us, i have sent you a private message for the same, please respond to that message.

Please find below the screenshots:

android com.adobe.reader.png

And when i went to File Explorer,

android files.png

file properties android.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, shivam,

That did not work with me. .
Moreover, this occurs with any file from the SD card in which I try to make changes.

Look:

Capture 1.jpg

Capture 2.jpg

Look:

Capture 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are agreed as to the symptoms. No matter what kind of edit, in particular highlighting in this instance, the edited file ends up in a storage area that we can't find using file manager even when connected to a PC.

Not having developed the software, I have no knowledge of how the particular storage folder is generated that we can't find. I am totally ignorant about the Adobe software that generates this folder and its relationship or compatibility with Android version 6.0. That's about as far as I can get on this.

Perhaps the entire issue needs to be reviewed by those having developed this software in the first place. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here. I took notes during class. Some documents forced me to make a local copy. Now I can only find the original file, while the others are missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue here. It's getting pointless highlighting these PDF's only to find out that you can't transfer them to another gadget since these directories don't exist. What the hell Adobe? It wasn't like this before. Or is it android's fault?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI chrisb74185982,

I am sorry for the delay in response.

Could you please share the following details with us?

Acrobat Reader app and the Android OS version installed on the device.

You may use below given link to do so:

Acrobat Reader Help for Android: Troubleshooting FAQs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thank you for this reply.

I'm currently using Android 6.0.1 on an Asus Zenphone Max

My Adobe Acrobat is currently version 17.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I want to access a file it's shown on my adobe app. Although I can't find it anywhere on my device storage. I can't even find the folder com.adobe.reader any where on the data folder or else !!! please help. I need those files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's 2020 and I have this problem, so clearly you haven't fixed it. My download file in adobe is empty! Adobe cloud empty too. Why can't you just work with Microsoft Cloud to not need to download a local copy? Or here's a novel idea, give us a menu bar and let us choose where to save our own files. Their PDF reader sucks but with the file location problems you have it's not much better. 😡🤬

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe all we actually want is the ability to save the files in ...\data\... locally (on our phones) without first uploading and downloading to the cloud...total waste of data.  Please fix the app accordingly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

The reason for this behavior is that some OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturer) mount external storage as read-only. When a pdf file(stored on an external storage) opened in Acrobat Reader, Acrobat Reader gives you an option to create a local copy of the file. The local copy that is created is under the private area of the app and no other app on the device can access this location.

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not even an answer and it certainly is not correct...

Maybe some OEMs do mount external storage as read-only but this ought not to be an issue overall.

It's true that some versions of Android and therefore some devices do prohibit writing to external storage (Kit-Kat being the worst offender we believe). However, that in itself should not preclude Acrobat being capable of writing to external storage on devices which do.

Bearing in the mind the following points:-

1) OEM devices running Lollipop or newer have the capability to allow/grant apps specific directory access on external storage for the very purpose.

2) Other apps, even those written by enthusiast/non-professional developers, have no problem availing themselves of this capability.

The question now becomes: why can't Adobe do the same with Acrobat?

Adobe would do well to consider what it already ought to know:

Most devices are sold with a minimum internal storage capability therefore necessitating the addition of external storage. Keeping all sorts of media (be it photo's, docs, music etc.) on internal storage makes no sense from a device performance perspective and, as has been shown in this very thread, makes daily practical use of Acrobat a proper pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution to the problem and you are positively ignoring what the customers describe as their problem. So basically you give an explanation why the adobe reader app is designed in a way, that makes it extremely difficult to use basic functions like highlighting, annotations, etc. on Android +6.0 systems. No access to the own files with other apps, while at the same time the reader app lacks basic explorer functions, is obviously a big obstacle for file management. Good customer service would include to at least try to initiate a solution, instead of simply explaining why it lacks such functions. Simply letting the user determine the default folder should also fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is rediculous functionality.  It makes my tablet useless for using pdfs to take notes (with acrobat) on as I can't then copy the modified file to my workstation and continue working on it from there.  I need a way to access the file with the modified changes locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same difficulty. I do not accept the "accepted" answer as no workaround is offered.

I was able to "Save to Document Cloud", then view it online at https://documents.adobe.com/ via chrome, then select and download which made it accessible to my local filesystem.

Hoepfully someone has a better way to access these drawn on/commented documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem: I have downloaded a certain PDF and it is showing up when I search for it in Adobe Acrobat, but it is absent in the entire 'Local Files' section of my Lenovo K8. When I search in Adobe, it says that the file is in the 'Downloads' folder of 'Internal Storage' but the PDF is not found when I open 'Internal Storage'. Other PDF's I downloaded before do show up in the Internal Storage Downloads, but I can't find this one anywhere in my phone's File Manager section. I fear this might be happening to other important PDF documents that I haven't detected yet. Please give me a solution to this problem.

I would also like to know if there is any way of knowing the complete path location of a PDF document in my phone's storage, by opening the same in the Adobe Acrobat app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a waste of time, forcing clients to use the cloud instead of giving options to save it locally is nonsense, I´m ending 10 adobe subscriptions because of this arbitrary decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer given by Adorobat is correct, and the reason why the folder can't be founded is that it's not located in the internal storage. This might be puzzly to hear it for the first time, but, actually there is many directories in your Android device, the internal storage what is accessible to us by default is located in the region /storage/emulated/0/ while the external storage in /storage/<sd_card_name>/ similarly the usbotg is accessible to us that's located in /storage/usbotg0/

This might be more clear if you watch the images below, I used ES File Explorer to view it. And, more importantly, those directories are not accessible by default, as there are datas if edited might cause your device to brick (term used in software development, meaningly, leaving your device inaccessible). Root is needed to access those regions, see the screenshots below.

The location that's shown in the Acrobat (default saving location for it) is inaccessible by default, you can access if you have root permissions.

N.B: Can't find the attach button while viewing in my handset! Will update the images while in PC...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've a solution, if I copied the file in the internal storage in first place, would it work?

What I do now a time, I use ES Explorer app to save the local copy via sharing it in the main Adobe app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines