Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Illustrator Files into Adobe Draw

New Here ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I am a bit new to adobe draw and loving it immensely. However, I cannot find out how to import illustrations I have created in Ai to Adobe Draw. I would love to edit these files with my stylus and give the drawing a more natural feel. Also, if I import an idea file to illustrator and make edits, will those edits show up in Draw?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

C‌urrently, there's no workflow to support .ai layered files into .draw layers.

the only way that you can bring your illustrator file into a Draw project is to reference it as a raster/photo bgd layer.

but if you are already starting in Illustrator, you can easily go back to illustrator from Draw.  Once your draw project is open, move those layers into your existing Ai project.

as for the Adobe Ideas (.idea) file, all of your layers will come across discretely As they were in Ideas.  The transparen

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C‌urrently, there's no workflow to support .ai layered files into .draw layers.

the only way that you can bring your illustrator file into a Draw project is to reference it as a raster/photo bgd layer.

but if you are already starting in Illustrator, you can easily go back to illustrator from Draw.  Once your draw project is open, move those layers into your existing Ai project.

as for the Adobe Ideas (.idea) file, all of your layers will come across discretely As they were in Ideas.  The transparency of each layer is also honored in the transfer from Ideas to Draw, but there's no way to pass it to illustrator between Ideas to Draw.... It's a direct shot.

A little off topic: you can mimic the brush styles of Draw in Illustrator when using a mouse.  If you'd like to use a stylus with your computer, Wacom works well with illustrator.  If you want to dig further, there are great 3rd party plugins for Ai like the ones from AstuteGraphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello is this still the case,  you cannot open an AI file in draw?

I accidentally deleted a file in Draw, luckily i sent it to AI and saved it to my cloud. now i do not know how to open the File back in draw. I can see the file when i select, Import idea files but i am unable to select it.

Please urgently Assist.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Yes. It is still not possible open a .ai file in Draw. I responded through the in-app feedback, but I wanted to post here too in case you looked here first:

I'm glad your work was actually saved somewhere. Unfortunately it's not yet possible to open a .ai file in Draw. The art can brought in as a photo layer but it won't be editable.

I'm sorry. I know that's not the answer you were hoping for.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there still no way of bringing an illustrator file into Illustrator Draw?

It's clearly a function a lot of designers would use in their workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can bring in any image, but only as a rasterized image. 

But if you bring it in as a reference, you can merge the two vector projects in Illustrator CC later.

The work that you do in IllustratorDraw export to CC as separated layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it still not possible to open a working AI. file in Draw? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy. 

Unfortunately, it is not possible to edit .ai files in Adobe Draw. 

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Yes you can!

Select the work, go to File, Export, Export As

select your creative cloud files (LHS)

Fill in relevant info then press Export. 
Then open Adobe Draw open a new project, press the + sign, then image layer. It should then bring up some options Press on the one that says cc My Files. Your art work from Illustrator should be there select the one you want and press the orange open button and voila! It's there for you to work on! 
I hope this helps 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! This is definitely helpful, but what type of file do I export from Ai?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines