• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brilliant idea: let users customize their interface!

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe, I don't want your forced tools on top, including Home, Tools, Document, and several of the page display icons.  I'm a genius and I'll offer a brilliant idea: let users customize their own screen!

When the window isn't maximized, there's insufficient room for all the tools, and the default unwanted ones prevent the ones I need from being displayed!

Acrobat has existed for 24 years, and yet Adobe still lacks the sense to let users decide which toolbar items they want to see, or what default panes should be shown every time the program is opened.  This comes from the same company that forced overlay text on flash videos after maximizing, which said something like "Hit ESC to exit fullscreen", and it got in the way of the video and there was no way to disable it.  Why does Adobe have to suck so much and be so displaced from common sense usage?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might suggest memorizing shortcut keys (or 'single-key accelerators' as they're called in the prefs).  They're fast, and don't need to be showing on your screen to be called into action quickly.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, which shortcut key hides Home, Tools, Document, and several of the page display icons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you want to completely customize your interface.  I find these handy to help curb the clutter:

• F8 hides the toolbar at the top.
  • F9 hides the menu bar.
  • Ctrl-H puts you in Reading Mode - which hides the sidebar panels too.  That gives you a fairly uncluttered interface.

I hope this is helpful information.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback...however, this doesn't solve anything.

Many times my window isn't maximized, and I need to zoom in.  Well, the "high precision" Dell trackpad can't Ctrl-scroll to zoom in in Acrobat!  In addition, the + and - icons on the toolbar aren't shown since the window isn't wide enough, and on top of that the 3 bullets on the far right don't even include the + and - icons!!  What's up with that?

Simple, brilliant solution: let users get rid of the crap they don't want!  Adobe, why don't you listen?  My company forked over close to $500 for this software, which forces useless icons on the interface.  There should be a way to customize everything that appears on the toolbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another thing that you may find helpful in your struggles with the interface.  If you click the "Move page controls out of the toolbar" button,

tookls1.jpg

you will then get a separate floating page nav tool that will appear when you move your cursor toward the bottom of your screen.  You can zoom in & out from there.

tools2.jpg

Also, right-clicking on any toolset will allow you to customize what tools are visible.  That setting is saved, and will open in the customized fashion always.

tools3.jpg

I use Ctrl+ and Ctrl- all the time to zoom in & out.  Hopefully one of these techniques can be of some help for you.

My best,

Davd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...but once again, none of these are reasonable solutions.  On the first one, it's not good to have 2 toolbars, 1 on the top, 1 on the bottom overlaying the doc content.  Regarding the right-click customizing of tools, only a small subset of the actual tools are in there!  And the "Fit one full page" icon must be separated from the "Show two pages" icon, but I want them adjacent since they do a similar function.

It's as well organized as a kindergartner could do.  Is that as good as you can do, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you against a kindergartner?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to say Amen to this.  Acrobat has gotten more and more cluttered over the years, with toolbars and tool panes and floating this and that and ginormous icons, all of which just gets in the way of reading the document.  And 95% of the time that's all I want to do: read it.  5% of the time I might want to highlight something, and once in awhile I might add a note.  All the rest of the tools I can do without, and I can get to any stuff I do need from the menu bar.  (Why don't I use Adobe Reader?  Good question; ask my company, who gives me a pre-installed set of software on my office computer, and disallows installing other software, for understandable reasons.)

The Edit | Preferences dialog box is actually huge, so Adobe does allow a lot of customization.  But there's almost nothing in that whole customization dialog that I actually care about.  What I do care about is getting rid of toolbars as a preference (not as s.t. I have to do every time I open Acrobat), and afaict, that's impossible.  It has to be done Each. And. Every. Time. I open Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Every time I add an image, the darn sidebar opens into the work space. This is a worthless feature and decreases productivity. What is it with software developers? When you re-invent the wheel, it should still be round. Add a function that lets me decide when I need to use it. The sidebars are a complete waste of space. How about going back to the pre-mouse,touch world and make menus that have all the functions in them. Menu bars don't take up that much space and are more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines