Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with dual install RHx5 & RH8

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2009 Feb 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I was using RH x5 for a long time with many projects created from it.
I just installed RH8 on the same machine, but in a different folder using a different license.
I wanted to run both versions on the same machine--doing maintenance on old projects with RHx5 and creating new projects using RH8.

Usually I open projects by clicking on the xpj file. So, I opened up an old project to do some maintenance and noticed that the xpj file icon looks like RH8 (not x5). When I saw that, I decided to start up the RHx5 product first, and then open the project from inside RHx5. That's when I noticed my desktop shortcuts to the programs were gone from my desktop. I tried to open x5 directly from Start Programs and the Windows Installer started.???? Hmmmm, wasn't sure what was going on at that point, so I cancelled the install. RH x5 is already installed, can't understand why it just didn't start like it usually does.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Why is the Windows Installer starting when I try to start x5?
I'd really appreciate any knowledge anyone has in running 2 versions of RH on the same machine.
Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the licence and upgrade licence?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the license for RH8 was an upgrade license, but was installed using a different serial number from the serial number of the RHx5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter that the serial number was different. An upgrade only entitles you to run the upgraded version so during the install, the earlier version gets disabled. A dual install is only possible if you have full licences for both versions.

You can still maintain your old projects. Just upgrade them to RH8 and make your changes.

As a matter of policy, always backup your old projects before upgrading just in case something goes wrong.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see. Wonder why Adobe Sales wasn't aware of that?
Before I purchased the upgrade license, I called Adobe Sales and went over the whole scenario of what I wanted to do. Adobe Sales told me that it would only upgrade the serial number provided during install and that what I had hoped to accomplish would be do-able. (Don't believe everything you hear....)

Yep, I did backup my projects before starting.
Yep, I realize I can just upgrade all the old projects to RH8, but I have to work fast here and didn't want to run the risk of problems and being familiar with x5 enables me to work faster if I have to do any maintenance, create documents, etc. I just wanted to rock the boat as little as possible.

I'm disappointed. I thought I had everything all worked out.
Do you think that I could re-install x5? Or would that majorly screw things up?

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you should go back and educate them.

I think you will find that you will quickly adapt to RH8 and would recommend you stick with it. The forum is here if you do get stuck.

I certainly would not install X5 on a machine with a later version already on it even with two full licences. In your case, I wouldn't go there.

If you must have X5 put it on another machine but be aware you can no longer activate X5. There is a workaround in Snippets on my site but, as above, I would just stick with RH8. The more you use it, the quicker you will pick it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. I will not try to reinstall x5 on my machine.

I visited your Web site. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing your knowledge base.
I was looking for the workaround you mentioned in your last reply, but didn't see it in Snippets. Can you give me a hint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Snippet 100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp