• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two Problems w/Lightroom; photos are deleted after import & catalog is stored on operating HD

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having two MAJOR problems with how Lightroom seems to operate these days, the first of which is that it seems to be deleting all of my raw files from my back up hard drive after I import them. This is a problem because I keep everything in it's own file structure system on an external hard drive. Is there a way to ensure that my original raw files are safely in place after using Lightroom?

The second problem is that Lightroom keeps eating up all of my storage on my operating hard drive, which is unsustainable. I shoot thousands of raw files a week and store them on 5TB external hard drives, then I import them into Lightroom to edit them. Is there a way to force Lightroom to stop moving files to the operating hard drive? If it is necessary for this program to create duplicate files in it's "own" system, then I would like to force it to store that system on the external hard drive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

I don't understand your first question. Seems to me the question I would ask relating to both of your questions is, are you using the Add option when importing the images to Lightroom? I am reading between the lines here, but I am assuming that you are copying the images to your hard drives first and then importing them to Lightroom. Is it possible that you are using the Move option in the import dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your first question. Seems to me the question I would ask relating to both of your questions is, are you using the Add option when importing the images to Lightroom? I am reading between the lines here, but I am assuming that you are copying the images to your hard drives first and then importing them to Lightroom. Is it possible that you are using the Move option in the import dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for that very simple insight! There are soooo many little tweaks to Lightroom that even the simplest features are sitting in plain sight. That's exactly what it was. You're the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines