• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic (7.3) crashes when idle

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got a strange problem: My Lightroom Classic crashes ("Program not responding") after a while of interactivity. This means I just have LR open in the cataloges, I even created a new one.

Btw: The first issues I was facing was then LR crashed when I was trying to backup and catalog - it got suck catalog was optimized during the backup process. That happend for different catalogs.

Beside that, my Windows 10 runs completely stable. I updated graphic drivers, re-installed LR and checked my SSD without any success. I have the "Use Graphics Processor" option enabled, but that worked fine all the time so that should not be the root cause.

Any ideas what could help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What has been changed on your system before the issue occur?

FrankFischbach  schrieb

I have the "Use Graphics Processor" option enabled, but that worked fine all the time so that should not be the root cause.

What makes you so sure? Do you have tried to turn off the "Use Graphics Processor"?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick response Axel.

There was no change in hard- or software configuration I am aware of. I can try to turn "Use Graphics Processor" off, but since it was turned on all the time before and it ran stable, that sounds not like a reasonable solution for me also assuming that my GPU is not that old (GTX 960) - anyway let me try.

The only thing I realize it that this did not happend before the update to the latest Lightroom Version (7.3) while it also did not occur right after the update.

Btw: The described issue is not a runtime error but the application gets unresponsive ("Not responding"), so there is no automatic error report which is sent to Adobe.

Another issue (lower priority) that I had already several runtime errors (partly reproducable) with face recognition. I guess that is related to the not fully stable new face recognition engine (which is anyway much better than the old one with large catalogs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned "Use Graphic Processor" meanwhile off the the issues persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to start Lightroom with "Run as Administrator". In some cases it has helped.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem still persists, also with LR 7.3.1. Looks like it's a bug, see also here:

New update 7.2 crashes after 5 minutes of being open

Run as Administrator does not help neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Pro Photographers here, we have used Lightroom since the day it came out. My Lightroom crashes 3-4 times a day, freezes etc etc. This is the worst version of Lightroom I have ever used. Anyone got any ideas? We use brand new PC's here i7 coffe lake, tons of ram, all Samsung Pro solid state drives and GTX 1080 graphics cards - seriously Adobe get this sorted out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same issue. Had to roll back to 7.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem after updating to 7.3.1 I have had numerous crashes

Lightroom left idle it freezes

Plug in usb drive or similar causes intermittent crashes

Saving a photo from photoshop back into lightroom caused regular crashes

All these had zero issues when i was using 7.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I have noticed Adobe, who we pay for the whole creative suite every month has said absolutely nothing about this. Who ever authorized this update needs to be shot. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am being punished by the same problem like you guys. Lightroom 7.3 freezes when idle.

There might be a connection with the activity of SyncBack Pro: Lightroom freezes nearly every time when I start a backup process with SyncBack Pro. Did someone recognize the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues (Lightroom Classic CC not responding while idle) with 7.3 and 7.3.1. Rolled back to 7.2 and everything seems ok. Reinstalled 7.3 without Windows Defender and no luck. Upgraded graphics card driver.  Also updated Windows 10 64 bit to April 2018 update. Didn't help. Looks like I am at 7.2 for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm having the same issue since Classic Version 7.3.1.

Mi OS is Windows 10 x64 (version 1803)

I have gone throughout all the suggestions in this web page, but nothing was coming better.

My personal suggestion until Adobe gets any fixing (Lord Almighty) is that anytime I'm done with some job, and I go, for instance to Photoshop, I close Lightroom by myself and then I start it again when I need it. And then close it again, and so on. Well, at least, in this way I don't have to go to CTRL+ALT+DEL to shut it down.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, same issue since mid March.

Running Mac OS X 10.13.4 and LR 7.3.1

LR crashes at some point (usually soon) after turning the cloud sync on. And especially if I leave it in the background just to sync to the cloud. After crashing LR is very unstable and crashes even sync off. With days it becomes stabler if one does not perform actions on thousands of pictures. BTW my database is 38 000 pictures.

It also seems very sensitive to rapid click, arrow, back and forth actions. I have slowed down my working and let LR to settle a while after launching before I start to work.

Tried to fix by turning off Little Snitch but no help.

I keep doing close-backup routine after some amount of work (many times a day). At some point I needed to revert to backups but recently I've been able to reopen a crashed database so that is improvement.

But it is annoying to be a beta tester for a paid software.

Waiting for someone to to find the answer!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello...

could this be a drive problem?

What kind of HDs are you using?? Mine is 3 Tb fusion drive.

Pert spin HD, small part SDD.

If we all have this in common (not the OS, for sure - this affects Win and well as Mac) we start to solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite sure that the issue is related to external network hard drives because of some experiences. Anyway, the problem with LR Classic 7.3 is annoying. So I rolled back to LR Classic 7.2. Since that, I don't have any issues at all. I know, that this solution is only a temporary one. Adobe has to fix the problem as soon as possible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using all solid state drives Samsung Pro 250g runs the PC and the 1TB drive is my working drive .I also have 2 2TB WD Black that are my backup drives, but Lightroom never sees these drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem by disconnecting an (mostly unused) USB card reader from my computer. Now everything runs fine, no more freezing. I am pretty sure that the issues is related to USB devices, maybe something with power save modes. Maybe Lightroom re-scans all drivers after some idle time and has issues with some (unused) USB drivers in that case.

@Pete: Just try to disconnect you backup drives and check if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weeeel, Mr FrankFischbach

Well, I don't agree with that USB stuff, Mr FrankFischbach, the ability that LightRoom has got to scan all the USB card readers is disabled in my Lightrrom options. Besides, I've never run a back up when Lightroon is loaded in idle in my PC, because there is a lot of memory consuming.

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the morning I turned off cloud sync and enjoyed a steady 2 hour work.

Now I unplugged ALL USB-devices (except keyboard) ... 3 powered-off printers and SanDisc card reader,

launched LR and turned sync ON ... in less than 2 mins it crashed.

As poseinformal said, USB-devices are of no value here ...

work on other solutions continues ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One point worth mentioning: problem is not our internet connections because in April I test drove LR with my old laptop MacBookPro mid 2009 and LR and cloud sync were perfect!

The problem is inside my iMac (our computers) - the first time LR crashed some tiny data bit hidden somewhere (eg that makes sure no one is running unauthorised copy of LR or other) was left in wrong value or disappeared all together.

The first time the crash happened to me on next launch LR reported that something was wrong and that a correction application would download and correct whats's wrong.

After the app started a got a tiny pop up window saying that xxxx is missing and the app can't run.

"Naturally" I didn't write down what the missing bit was... regrets... just closed the window and tried to work around it by myself.

Now I don't get that window any more.

Hope this gives a clue for someone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karip,

Please, raise your issue here Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Above forum is monitored by Lr QE whereas this forum is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian Lyons, thank you - I will (now I have a 5 day busy project).

holgerr..., thank you - I have a feeling that it might be that my copy of LR fails at handshake with Adobe server... but how to fix it?

Since my previous post I contacted Apple to make sure it is not their responsibility - I ran Apple Hardware Test app and found out that one of my Kingston SO DIMM 8 Gb RAM modules was faulty. Now I'm using the three good ones... but that did not solve my problem.

It could have been the origin of this continuing trouble.

I tried to roll back to LR 7.2 but turning sync ON crashed LR also. Cloud sync OFF LR is steady.

So I can work ... but miss the photos in phone and tablet. It was so handy.

I'll work on this and post - and again thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone - CRASHING LIGHTROOM ISSUE SOLVED!!

I hope this helps many others in the same situation.

I have had a Buffalo LinkStation NAS upstairs (out of sight because of noise). I haven't used it for a few years. Last summer our cable modem was swapped to a faster one and that changed our LAN address space (from .192.168.0.n. to ...1.n.) but the NAS was left as is. Then obviously in March I tried to establish connection to it ... by memory my Mac offered it's old address ... searched it but couldn't find it. NAS navigator app scanned for it but didn't find it. I left it as is.

Then my LR started crashing while syncing to Adobe cloud .... lots of effort.... I quit using it for a month but returned..

Yesterday I fetched the NAS, reset its IP address and signed in to see it's folder structure.

Then I launched LR and ... syncing to cloud was stable!! It synced for 20 hours to get the pictures I like to have in cloud. Since then I closed and opened LR a few times ... always stable!

So - I'm happy and hope similar procedure would help many with the same issue.

Best of summer to everyone and thank you for help and suggestions (holgerr's answer led me to suspect the NAS...)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines