• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there total file limits to LR Collections?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I ran into an issue with a LightRoom Classic (7.3) collections this week. I have 9267 image files in 2 folders in one collection. These were taken over the course of 2 days by 2 people at a dance competition. I usually create a collection per event but I went way over my usual number of 3000 to 4000 images. The source files were copied from the SD cards to a Laptops external drive. The files were renamed on the fly using a Nikon transfer app. so each SD card loaded would continue the naming sequence. These files were transferred to a NAS system. Connected via GB local switch, after the router (16 GB switch fabric). 2 Switch ports have high priority, 1 for NAS other for desktop. TCPIP for NAS and Desktop are static via DHCP server. I say all of this to let you know that I am not a novice to networking or Servers etc.

Lightroom Classic loaded the files, the smart previews were turned off. It took about 40 min. before I could work at all while the system was building standard previews. I just let it run. over the course of 1.5 days, I was able to edit 2500 files. The app died twice during this time. Each time it came back I lost ground. So In spite of the 7.3.1 update for crashes etc. ( I know better to do that in the middle of a project. Bonehead I Can Be) that completely hosed my project, locked up the app. could not load an image, just screwed up the works. I had run 2 Catalog backups the day before. The latest one caused LR to choke (written in 7.3 now running 7.3.1) So I reverted back to 7.3 and pulled the earlier catalog back and the app came up and attempted to reload the collection. Never could reload it, I dumped it. So I have now decided to keep all collections to 1000 files or less. I reloaded the source files to a local disk. Built a folder with 12 sub-folders with approx 800 files per folder. Pulling each folder as a set within a collection.

So basically for the bottom line folks. How many files can LR handle in a collection? Looks like I went over with 9267  

PS I have a working version of LR 2015 so I could get some images done and feel good using the 12 folders mentioned to start a set.  LR CLassic 7.3 is back on the job now, going to wait for 7.3.2 or more before I update again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know if there is a limit, but my screen-clip shows I can place ALL my LR photos in one Collection.

ScreenShot131.jpg

(Classic-v7.3.1 on a PC)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there are any limits on Collection sizes, and I have never seen a hint of a problem in this area. Collection membership is pretty small in data terms. (I presume you are carefully referring to Collections as in the Collections panel and not using "collection" in general terms).

One thing to review is the Nikon app. There was a time when we had a lot of reports of minor corruption problems with NEFs. IIRC they came from using an older Nikon Transfer version than the raw files. So if you've not formatted the cards, I would use Finder/Explorer to make a copy of the files. Yes, I might well be wrong, so I only suggest it as a precaution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These problems have nothing to do with Collections.

You need to revert back to 7.2, which many people say don't have these problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines