• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why in Photoshop progress windows stuck?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop.png

Can anyone explain why the progress windows stuck when there is no progress going on?
Even it is not closing on clicking the close button.

Performed some action, for eg - applied gaussian blur

• Progress window open & shows the progress of applying blur
  • Progress completed
  • Blur effect applied
  • Window still remains there

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sound like you either have a Photoshop bug and Photoshop hangs.  Or your machine is failing.  Of there is a problem with you Photoshop's installation. 

The first thing you should do is to reset all Photoshop Tools and your User ID Photoshop Preferences.   See if that clears up you Photoshop hanging problems.

If Photoshop still hangs you need to provide more information.

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happens to me.  It started a month or two ago.  Updating and reinstalling Photoshop CC has no effect.  Happens on several machines, so it's definitely a bug.  The only way to get rid of the window is to restart the program, or just move it off to the side and ignore it, as it seems to have no effect on actually using the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is getting stuck? the original poster stated gaussian blur as one tool that may hang but the append seemed to indicated other functions may also hang.  I think you need to try to track down what triggers the bug to bite.  Some document condition, a particular sequence of steps.  Random Hangs are not easy to trouble shoot. Something triggers the bug to bite what bates the bug into action. Check to see if the bug has been reported to ADone one ther site Photoshop Family Customer Community . If you can not find it has please report you bur to Adobe there Photoshop Family Customer Community 

It seem like your Photoshop is not actually hanging it is just that Progress bar window does not close when the process has completed. Photoshop keep on working you can use.   If you click on the Progress bar window will it get focus and will Alt+F4 close it if you use Windows.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that the progress window doesn't disappear after filters are run.  Only happens after running filters, but doesn't seem to be related to a particular filter or subsequent operation.  As stated, operation of the software isn't effected (no hanging), and the window cannot be closed, including using Alt-F4.  Probably a redraw bug--I'll make a report.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely a bug. It's been happening for me for about 2 months, the difference is, Photoshop freezes for no apparent reason.

I'm running CC 2018 Version on a Microsoft Surface Book2. Randomly, as I work Photoshop will simply stop - I can't escape, or move any elements, and eventually i have to close Photoshop and hope there is a recovery file. I have, however, discovered by clicking with the scratchpad on the Start Menu icons that if I click on the main Photoshop window and let the mouse hold there, a progress bar will appear, but the left side of the bar is hidden so i can't tell what the issue is. I've tried hitting ESC, I've tried to Alt+F4, I've tried to close from the Start menu, and nothing happens. I've also tried leaving it for an hour (assuming it's a save function), and nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean "What's getting stuck" - he's telling you it's the PROGRESS BAR!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact thing is happening to me since the update. Tried all the same things, sometimes it disappears but often stays and I just move it aside.  Seems to only show up when exporting an image for edit from lightroom Classic to Photoshop for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm this is also happening to me. Happens when I export a photo from Lightroom to Photoshop. The bar appears and pressing 'cancel' nothing happens it still stays there. I just move it to the side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue since I upgraded to Photoshop 2020. It seems to happen when nothing is happening for me. I go away for a while, when I come back the empty small window has appeared and I cannot get rid of it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same with me..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. This happens to me when I open photos from Lightroom using the "Edit in Photoshop" feature. The "processing" pop up doesn't go away even after the photo opens in Photoshop. There isn't even a lag. The photo opens in photoshop pretty quickly yet the processing pop up remains. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same has been happening to me with the progress bar window. Even when I minimize the Photoshop window, the bar remains as a layer on my desktop and there isn't a way to click anything and make it go away. I have to restart Photoshop to make it disappear. As soon as I import a photo from Lightroom, it reappears. Have any of you discovered any solutions since your post a few months ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded to PS 2019 - - 20.0.10 -- seems to work just fine in on mOS 10.15.6.

I use the attached GPU settings in PS.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.00.46 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same bug and it happens when I port a photo from lightroom to photoshop. I press "edit in photoshop" and when photoshop loads the image the progress window is open and stuck just shy of completion. and the only way to make the progress window go is to restart photoshop and port the photo from lightroom again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as well. Every time I use a filter. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks xhartx- You've described my problem as well. I've left my concerns with adobe several times without any response. Also, "open as layers' where it'd open each as a separate file. The progress window is mostly annoying and having to be moved continuously to edit imeages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. When I go edit a photo from lightroom, i got the progress window stuck there. Very annoyng. It's not all the time, but most of the time. 2020 and everything up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!  Same Progress Bar not closing when I import an image from Lightroom.  It seems to only be AFTER the 1st image I open.  The first image of the set opens without the stuck progress bar and when I open the second image of the set is when I see the stuck progress bar.  Doesn't seem to be having any influence on performance, just a nuisance really. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me! - It seems JJMack hasn't got a clue. So many people with the same issue. Help! So annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Photoshop developers; LISTEN to what we're all telling you and fix it please! - Stupid Progress Bar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! I have to close photoshop and open again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here (except I'm using a Mac and 21.2.0 version) A progress bar appears on initial loadup that ...just sits there - it won't close ... doesn't seem to stop me working but it IS annoying. I am flat out and taking time to reset/re-install or dig into the plumbing of Adobe products isn't likely unless this stupid hang/glitch/bug whatever is costing my time more than it does presently 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I want to thank everyone for posting since in seeing that others have the same problem is most helpful in knowing that it's not just me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to see I'm not alone here, this started for me a few weeks ago when I go from Lightroom to Photoshop. Progress window will not go away, nor can I close it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines