• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom locks up upon insert/removal of media

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each time I insert or remove a flashdrive, external harddrive or SD card, Lightroom Clasic CC 7.3 locks up.  When I click to do something else, the screen frosts over, it says "Non-responsive" at the top and never recovers.  I have to manually click the "X" in the upper right corner and reload the program.  Everything continues normally again until another media device is added or removed and it locks up again.

This just started happening after the most recent upgrade.

Running on a Lenovo M-800 PC with 32GB of RAM and an i7Core processor. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention, I have the Preference box - "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected" - unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this time, the only advice I have is to roll back to 7.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your drives are all connected first and then you open Lightroom does it open and work as usual?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does.  But if I remove the USB stick, for instance, then it freezes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is your Lightroom folder? Is it in your Pictures directory? Is it on an external drive? If you're not quite sure where it is you can search on .lrcat. Please post a screen shot showing the directory and path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried a second catalog with the same results.  Both are on external 12TB or 16TB USB drives. 

Here's the smaller one:

2018-04-28_1627.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a particular reason you want the catalogs on externals? If you move the catalogs to your local drive it's quite possible that you won't have this problem. Can you create a catalog on your local drive and test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My largest catalog already is on my C Drive for speed of accessing.  However, all my other less-used catalogs and all my photos are on the external drives, strictly because I don't have enough space on my C Drive. 

I did just try moving a smaller catalog and all its photos to the desktop on C, and the problem still persists. I noticed that it only froze up upon removal of the SD card, not when it was inserted.  I was actually able to insert the card and add photos to the catalog from it.  But, when I removed it, LR froze up again as it did in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the destination folder? How are you removing the card? Do you have Eject After Import checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The destination folder changes each time I do a project. Usually, it's on the C Drive, but it could be to any number of other USB or network drives. 

Eject After Import was checked.  I tried unchecking it, but no change in behavior.

Removing the card still seems to be the issue.  Having Eject After Import checked didn't do it.  Just pulling the card out wasn't the way to go. So I tried using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media route.

2018-04-30_0957.png

Unfortunately, I can't do that.  I keep getting a message (as attached) telling me to close any program or window using the device - which none are.

I've made sure all Windows Explorer windows are closed, and no other programs besides Chrome and Lightroom are running. No matter how many times I tried, even waiting a half-hour, I still keep getting the same error box pop-up.2018-04-30_0954.png

Seems that there is something in Lightroom that just won't let go after it reads any removable media. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read this a short while ago and it indicates this is a known bug: LR Classic CC 7.3.1 Hangs when USB Device is disconnected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thank goodness it's not my machine.  That makes me feel better already.  It's still a pain in the butt,  but I now have hope a fix is at the end of the tunnel.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YW- when I read the thread I remembered your post... thought this might be the issue you were having as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines