Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable full image presets in latest update

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I just installed the new update and while I appreciate most of it, there is a gigantic issue with presets now: whenever you hover one preset, it not only previews in the "preview" image in the top left corner but also in the full image, which is fine... unless you're editing a stitched panorama over 200 MB when the computer crawls to a stop.

I don't have a bad computer in my opinion, with a 7700K and enough RAM and disk space to handle it, but this is just unbearable now.

Is there any way to disable the full image preview in the settings ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope!

However, if you believe it's needed then please submit a feature request at Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe this hasn't been thought about.

And I imagine, with the updates of the presets to another format, I can't go back to 7.2 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

valentino63732559  wrote

I cannot believe this hasn't been thought about.

And I imagine, with the updates of the presets to another format, I can't go back to 7.2 ?

Sure you can go back. The new converted presets are copies. Your old presets are still in their old location.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that's nice to hear ! I'll switch back in the meantime and submit the feature request

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is "their old location".  If i work down from USERS to App data roaming and Adobe, Lightroom, then Develop Presets, I see all my presets with a "~" in front of the name.  I see no "old" folders along this path.  The 7.2 folder just has a couple of txt files and logs

I tried removing the tilde from the name but when I restarted Lr it said presets were successfully converted to xml and now the tildes are back. 

I don't like this preview at all.  If I click on the preset I want and the cursor accidentally passes over others on the way to something else the main image flips through the presets.  Eventually it returns to what I clicked on but what an awful distraction.  Did anyone actually ask for this, why?  Having the presets show up in the navigation window was fine.  It wasn't distracting and if you really wanted to preview them you could look there.  Please turn this OFF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wernerg  wrote

Eventually it returns to what I clicked on but what an awful distraction.  Did anyone actually ask for this, why?  Having the presets show up in the navigation window was fine.  It wasn't distracting and if you really wanted to preview them you could look there.

Nope, and given that it's been high on the list of customer requests since Lr first made it's appearance then asking now would be a tad pointless.

If you don't like how it operates now then submit a feature request using the link I provided above or just hit this copy Lightroom CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

FWIW, I think arguing for a return to the previous behaviour won't get much if any traction. Best you focus on requesting a new preference to enable/disable the new behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the linked site and wrote a similar comment.  It asked me to log in before submitting, I selected Photoshop Family login.  A window popped up and said I was successfully logged in but nothing happened, I resubmitting the same comment brought up the same "successful" login procedure.  Too frustrating to worry about it now.  I'll deal with the behavior for a while and see what happens. Just one more annoyance in an ever-growing list. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wernerg  wrote

What is "their old location".  If i work down from USERS to App data roaming and Adobe, Lightroom, then Develop Presets, I see all my presets with a "~" in front of the name.  I see no "old" folders along this path.  The 7.2 folder just has a couple of txt files and logs

I tried removing the tilde from the name but when I restarted Lr it said presets were successfully converted to xml and now the tildes are back. 

I don't like this preview at all.  If I click on the preset I want and the cursor accidentally passes over others on the way to something else the main image flips through the presets.  Eventually it returns to what I clicked on but what an awful distraction.  Did anyone actually ask for this, why?  Having the presets show up in the navigation window was fine.  It wasn't distracting and if you really wanted to preview them you could look there.  Please turn this OFF!

The presets with the tilde in front of their name are your old presets. Don't worry about that tilde. Lightroom 7.3 uses that so it knows this preset is already converted, but previous versions of Lightroom won't show it in their presets list, because the internal name did not change.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I would actually have to re-install 7.2 to avoid the preset previews? Then you're just stuck at 7.2 forever? It seem that Adobe is now copying "features" from other raw converters that have single click "do everything" presets. Following, not leading. That doesn't seem like a good thing for a leader to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wernerg  wrote

So I would actually have to re-install 7.2 to avoid the preset previews? Then you're just stuck at 7.2 forever? It seem that Adobe is now copying "features" from other raw converters that have single click "do everything" presets. Following, not leading. That doesn't seem like a good thing for a leader to do.

For the moment; yes. Maybe they'll add an option to turn this on/off in a future update, I don't know. BTW, this full screen preview is not just copied from other raw converters, it is a request of many people, going back as long as seven years in the feedback.photoshop.com forums.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

For the moment; yes. Maybe they'll add an option to turn this on/off in a future update, I don't know. BTW, this full screen preview is not just copied from other raw converters, it is a request of many people, going back as long as seven years in the feedback.photoshop.com forums.

As always, be careful what you wish for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohanEl54  wrote

Don't be saying that or you'll spoil the urban legend that Adobe never listens to customers, and the only good features are copied from other vendors Next you'll be accused of spreading Fake News

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. The current implementation is an absolutely terrible UX. Trying to compare profiles is almost impossible since the image updates on hover.

Adobe, please give us the option to not preview unless clicked. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is insane, I basically cannot have my preset folders open. The "preview when hovering" was always only in the Navigator window, never applied to the full edit picture. I have no choice but to downgrade to 7.2. This sucks because other parts of the application seemed more responsive but it's ultimately unusable right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This creates a tremendous lag for me, if my mouse goes anywhere near a preset it changes the main image and then takes about a second or two to change back. I've even had to click away from the photo to get back and see what preset I've actually applied. This is really slowing me down, and desperately needs an on/off toggle switch. I get that people would have requested it, but implementing it for everyone and not telling us how to turn it off is really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing the navigator preview, and reduce the size of the window helps a bit. I agree that this is really ANNOYING worthless feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that this is a long standing feature request, but did you guys even do a performance test beforehand on common machine spec?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 7.2 works perfectly well on my machine, 7.3 is unusable. Any other snarky questions? Where in the release notes does it say we have to purchase new hardware? Once again, Adobe's code monkeys didn't test the workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yosiau92493294  wrote

Closing the navigator preview, and reduce the size of the window helps a bit. I agree that this is really ANNOYING worthless feature.

While appreciating that It may be annoying for some, it is far from worthless. As has already been remarked upon - full screen preview of presets has been a long time customer request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ian+Lyons  wrote

While appreciating that It may be annoying for some, it is far from worthless. As has already been remarked upon - full screen preview of presets has been a long time customer request.

.. and that request was properly ignored for years by Adobe mgmt until competing raw converters started coming out of the woodwork with lots of one-click Instagrammy-type filters for the iPhone generation, whose attention span doesn't last more than one click. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing wrong with full screen previews, the issue is with mouse-over behavior. How am i supposed to compare two looks if the preview changes 10 times on the way from one to the other?!

The implementation of this feature is incredibly annoying for those of us trying to get our work done. Like almost all the new features which Adobe has released for both Ps and Lr these past few cycles, they're going to need to add an option to disable/revert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I provided a link to the best place to air your thoughts at post no 2 above. Some folk have already provided their feedback, and Adobe are aware of same. The relevant thread is at Lightroom Classic: Add the possibility to disable full image preset preview | Photoshop Family Custo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While checking off old feature request from the list might be worth something for the Product managers and developers and community admins, the actual worth of a feature for the end user depends on both function and USABILITY of the feature in common specs and use cases.

Its not just that annoying full screen preview that bogs the computer down, now we have a dozen of stock presets that takes up space and cannot be deleted. I cannot even reorganize my own filter, cannot sort it, cannot create folder to organize it.

I was pretty happy with the previous version, notice the performance improved, but this last version just really sucks, almost cancel all the improvements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has to be the dumbest implementation of a software "feature" that I have ever seen from Adobe. That you can't switch it off and that it literally cripples your workflow indicates to me that nobody at Adobe actually uses Lightroom the way their customers do.

Come on, this is urgent. Turn that nonsense off, please. I've had to revert to an older version to actually get any work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines