Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking swf files in Robohelp

Feb 12, 2009 Feb 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Captivate slide with buttons, each button needs to run a captivate project (swf) within Robohelp. I have tried the ' Run other project' in Captivate and added the swf in RH as baggage but everytime I click the button is says the location of the file is incorrect. I think I am missing a link somewhere? Anyone been through this headache?
Captivate 4 and RH8 used
Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 12, 2009 Feb 12, 2009
Hi again

Okay, so you have a basic Captivate linking issue to resolve.

How are you linking from the buttons in Captivate?

* Open other project
* Open URL or file

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

So many potential wrinkles here!

Problem could be on the Captivate side or the RoboHelp side.

I'd begin by ensuring that the links work with the simple Captivate output. Once you are certain that's the case, then deal with RoboHelp.

So the question here is: If you test the Captivate output prior to importing into RoboHelp, does it work there? If not, you have a Captivate linking issue to resolve before you begin thinking you need to resolve something in RoboHelp.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.
It doesnt work in Captivate no. I thought I would try it in Robohelp as I thought it might handle it differently as that is where it is ultimately ending up.
I get the 'cannot find file.cp.htm and file.cp.swf', which is strange because I dont have a .cp.swf or .cp.htm file, only .swf and .htm and .cp
Do I need to export the 'external' linked swf file in a certain way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Okay, so you have a basic Captivate linking issue to resolve.

How are you linking from the buttons in Captivate?

* Open other project
* Open URL or file

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried both but thought I would stick with Open Other Project then Choose the .cp file which is to be linked.
I copied all the output files from linked swf and copied them into the output of the 'linker' folder. When I run it, it lets me know that it cant find the cp.htm file from the old location of the linked project. This leads me to believe I need to export it differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Hmmm, normally the process is quite simple

* Insert the Button or Click Box and configure it to Open other Project when clicked.
* Browse to and choose the project you wish to link to.
* Publish all projects involved
* Copy all of them to the same folder
* Test

When you say it can't find the "cp.htm" file, are you meaning quite literally that you are seeing "cp.htm"? Or are you simply saying that you have a project (perhaps named MyProject) and the message indicates it can't find the "MyProject.htm" file? So you were using cp as a generic placeholder.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its literally .cp.htm
I will have another go tomorrow following your points
Thanks alot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

If you want, I'll be happy to work with you tomorrow morning. Just shoot me a private email to rstone75 (at) kc (dot) rr (dot) com and include your phone number. I'll send you back a message with a link to follow so we can connect and I can watch your screen.

I'd like to see this in actual operation.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2009 Feb 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Got the answer, its a bit random and nothing to do with RH or Captivate.
My p.c. has a partitioned drive d: where all my work is held including the Captivate stuff. I have been having small problems with it so I thought I would copy all files into c: drive and re-publish everything and yes it works a treat now !! Works in RH having added the swf as Baggage. Go figure? Not sure how it was setup. I only work here!
Thanks for everything Rick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp