• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing only the Active Image's Rating when multiple images are selected in Library

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with Lightroom since it was in beta form and since I could remember whenever I have had multiple images selected in the Library module and I was rating my images it would only change the active photo's rating and no other photos were affected unless I used the drop down  menu option "Set Rating". I recently got a new Macbook Pro and the copy of LR I installed now sets all the rating of all the images selected to the same rating as the active image. I would like to know how to change the preferences on how LR syncs the rating the active image to the rest of the images in a multiple selection  with in the Library module. 

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Aaron+Rogosin  wrote

I'm using the menu to confirm that I'm in Loupe view.

And pressing a number key (1-5) adds the rating to all the photos selected in the filmstrip?

Strange! and not to be expected.

Tried a Preferences reset?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the library mode, that's the way it works. In the develop module, if you don't have auto sync enabled you can have multiple images highlighted and the rating will only affect the currently selected image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMGosh...THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!  Needed to have Auto Sync enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not believe there is a 'Preference'.

TBOMK Lightroom has always applied a star rating to ALL selected images, in Grid view.

I have never seen a situation where only the 'most selected' image gets the rating,

EXCEPT if in Loupe view. Loupe view only rates the 'most selected' (or main window image) on the film strip.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Yes this is happening to me while I'm in loupe view and have multiple images selected in the film strip.  This is not the case with my  desktop's copy of LR  that I currently use in conjunction with my laptop. How can I get it to set only the active in while in loupe view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By any chance is your thumbnail size slider set to maximum, so you are only seeing the one image in the main window while in Grid view? This would give the appearance of Loupe view while still being Grid View.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Aaron+Rogosin  wrote

And pressing a number key (1-5) adds the rating to all the photos selected in the filmstrip?

Strange! and not to be expected.

Tried a Preferences reset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! Your F*** Brilliant. Thank you. It was a so simple yet I never considered it. I feel a bit embarrassed but I'm sure others have had or will have this issue eventually.

Again Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good result!

As stated by another forum LR guru- a Preferences Reset can be a "Sprinkle of magic Fairy Dust"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could have had AutoSync turned on in Loupe view.  Then a ratings change will apply to all images in the filmstrip.   A reset preferences would have turned this off but thats pretty drastic to fix the auto sync.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 4.33.09 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AutoSync- Good catch, Bob!

(one I had not considered and never used in Library views)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to avoid using AutoSync at all costs in both Library and Develop as things can get messed up really fast and be practically undoable if you forget to turn them off.  I wish it would flash RED when it is on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet that was it........... In fact, hold on...... Yip that was it. When I toggle that switch it behaves as it did before.

Genius!

I have never seen the need nor used the auto sync function so it would not have occurred to me to consider this feature as the cause of the problem.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select a row of images in the grid view and then go into the Survey mode (N key) you will be able to rate one image at a time, tap the arrow key and then rate the next one. While you are in survey mode the images are still all selected however the 'most selected' image has a white border on it and will be the only image that the rating, color label, flag etc. will be applied to.

"When you have more than one photo selected in the Grid view and you make changes such as applying ratings, labels, or adding metadata, those changes are applied to all of the selected photos." How to browse and compare photos in Lightroom Classic CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no setting to change this. When in grid view, ratings will apply to all selected images. Lightroom will only rate the most selected image if you are in a view that only shows that image, like Loupe view in the Library module or the Develop module.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines