Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere only imports Audio

New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

So i've seen this question a few times already since the last update but haven't seen any answers that work yet. Basically, Premiere only imports the audio for about 75% of my shots, the other 25% import fine. So far I have tried:

- Clearing the cache

- Converting the clips from .mov to .mp4

- Renaming the source folder

- Reinstalling Premiere Pro

- Dragging and going through file/import to import clips

The original clips I tried to import were .mov files shot on a Nikon D7100.  I then tried all of the above, and each time I re-tried to import clips a different few would work fine and the rest would only import audio. I also tried to import .mp4 files shot on Canon and that didn't work either. Here are my computer specs and my Premiere Pro version. I've been held up for about two weeks now with this problem and I've tried every fix I've come across online, please help! Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 5.29.53 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Yes I know that. So, it's time to upgrade your Mac OS X. Try this please. This is an option and we have to go discarding posibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it an old project you are trying to open on the new version of Premiere ?

if so, try to delete all 'Video Previews' and 'Audio Previews' associated to that project, this will

require rendering again ... try to go to Documents - Adobe and check if there are any cache or

preview files there as well and delete them

it might not work but give it a try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it's when I try and import videos into a new project, but thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your OS up to date ? try updating to latest mac os

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try changing the Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration in Project Settings.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 12.31.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I changed it to (Metal) and it worked for the first 10 or so clips I imported and then started importing them only as audio again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try with "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, still audio only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of video files is your Nikon D7100 generating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They import as .mov files, but I have had the same issue with both .mov files from the Nikon camera and .mp4 files from the Canon camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do your video files have any of these codecs or none of them? Quicktime 7 stopped supporting some codecs, check the link and check the codec of your videos.

Dropped support for Quicktime 7 era formats and codecs

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 13.05.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both the Nikon and Canon footage have H.264 codec, and the Canon footage has AAC for audio while the Nikon footage has Linear PCM for audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I know that. So, it's time to upgrade your Mac OS X. Try this please. This is an option and we have to go discarding posibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you have this answered, but I found only a few files were importing only audio and I discovered they were the ones that I was previewing in Finder? Maybe a coincidence, but I simply moved them to a different place (desktop) and they uploaded fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please help! I am really struggling with this issue. I have tried all the suggested workarounds in this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2486467 (see my post in there) and none of them work.

I have also tried a new project with "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" setting, and importing from the original folder and from a new location, both as mp4 and m4v, and nothing works!

I am really appalled by this unstable behaviour considering the large price tag the CC suite has.

These files play just fine in every media player, and 75% of the files I shot that day import with no problems, yet in Adobe every workaround I try results in the same issue:
                                    'A low-level exception occurred in ImporterMPEG (Importer:39)'

Please help! Can somebody from Adobe take proper ownership of this issue that many people are having?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like it's for Pr. Elements  ....NOT the same app, nothing remotely alike.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did go watch it ... using Handbrake to convert video only then syncing back in Elements to tthe previous import that was audio only.

Handbrake is suggested a lot around  "here" but I've never had problems with the audio. I've converted a lot of VFR to CFR via Handbrake.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for actually taking the time to watch the video and seeing it doesn't matter if it's elements or CC, the solution works for either program. I've used both programs and although they are different they both have the same problem. In my experience it falls down to a bad camera. Which I am happy to say I've got rid of the problem camera LOL and haven't had that problem since. As far as the audio, again in my opinion the audio has been crap when I've gone to handbrake and fixed a video. Who knows it could be because of the problem camera again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And given the range of image/sound producing devices in use at the moment the files are all over the universe. From captures from video tape made 15 years ago to itty-bitty devices that have internal chips that extend the boundaries of long-GOP out with partial-iFrames so complete iFrames are up to 120 frames apart ... and shoot in VFR! ... trying to mate video and audio is a mess at times.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that when I import a video on a new project it brings in the video and audio, but the second one I import it brings in just audio...unless its a new project, then I can import a single video correct.  Anyone have any ideas why?

Would be nice not to have to use handbreak as it takes a while to convert the 4k video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like you don't have your Source Target set, the very left end of the timeline header box controls.

Sounds like you have a blue A1, but no matching blue V1 set. Click the far left gray block for V1.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines